LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

This is getting old, guys...Tranny did something odd yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default This is getting old, guys...Tranny did something odd yesterday...

Well, it's been 6 months and 33,000 miles since the dealer rebuilt our tranny, and yesterday, when pulling away from a light on a right turn, my wife gave it some gas, the engine revved a little for about a second but the car only coasted when suddenly, the tranny "caught" and the car moved away as expected.

This is a different symptom than when it began to go the first time, but I've read enough on this forum that it's another early symptom of these things getting ready to go.

So far, it's only done this one time. The problem is, our GM Certified Used warranty is up in mid-November, and I'm not sure if the tranny will show any signs of trouble to the dealer. I removed my DiablewTune last night as a pre-caution and have tried to drive the car a bit harder, but it hasn't happened again. Trans fluid level is good and it's unburned.

I know it's strange, but I'd like to accelerate this problem so I can get it fixed under warranty. I have a spare 4T65-HD with 10k miles on it, but I don't want to use that until I need to out of warranty.

Any suggestions and I should do?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well take it back to them tell em... you just had it rebuilt 30k miles ago usually there is a 50kmile warranty on the tranny repair work..
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you had a gp id tell you to use tapshift all the time as that is how i killed my trans in my GTP but good luck with everything though
Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigalnash
well take it back to them tell em... you just had it rebuilt 30k miles ago usually there is a 50kmile warranty on the tranny repair work..
You would think, however, if the trans was rebuilt under warranty, which our was, there is no warranty on any of the work once that warranty has expired. The other thing is, the car has only done this once, so if I take it back now, I'll get the "it ran fine for us" excuse.

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
if you had a gp id tell you to use tapshift all the time as that is how i killed my trans in my GTP but good luck with everything though
Thanks, man.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
You would think, however, if the trans was rebuilt under warranty, which our was, there is no warranty on any of the work once that warranty has expired. The other thing is, the car has only done this once, so if I take it back now, I'll get the "it ran fine for us" excuse.

Thanks, man.
At least it would be documented should it occur post warranty.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
At least it would be documented should it occur post warranty.
Yeah, we'll probably try to drive the **** out of it in the next couple of weeks, then take it in.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

You could neutral drop it like 15 times in a row....jk...
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

My tranny has been doing that exact thing for about 5k miles. But its so hit and miss. Its fine for a week then 4 or 5 times in a row it does it. I then get it in my head to take it in but then its fine. Mine is starting to show other signs of failing so I really need to take mine in. I still have 40k miles of warranty left so havent been in a huge hurry yet
Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdwilks
My tranny has been doing that exact thing for about 5k miles. But its so hit and miss. Its fine for a week then 4 or 5 times in a row it does it.
Same here..... and it throws no codes when they scan it, so the dealer wont do jack ****
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it's been 6 months and 33,000 miles since the dealer rebuilt our tranny, and yesterday, when pulling away from a light on a right turn, my wife gave it some gas, the engine revved a little for about a second but the car only coasted when suddenly, the tranny "caught" and the car moved away as expected.

This is a different symptom than when it began to go the first time, but I've read enough on this forum that it's another early symptom of these things getting ready to go.

So far, it's only done this one time. The problem is, our GM Certified Used warranty is up in mid-November, and I'm not sure if the tranny will show any signs of trouble to the dealer. I removed my DiablewTune last night as a pre-caution and have tried to drive the car a bit harder, but it hasn't happened again. Trans fluid level is good and it's unburned.

I know it's strange, but I'd like to accelerate this problem so I can get it fixed under warranty. I have a spare 4T65-HD with 10k miles on it, but I don't want to use that until I need to out of warranty.

Any suggestions and I should do?
I'm thinking you have a problem with the forward servo and/ or its related circuit. Eitherway you can't really get at it...
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Mine does this from time to time and has for a year or so now.

By "tranny did something unusual" I assumed one stayed together....lmao
Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

It did it again yesterday, but just once. Same situation: Coming out of a slow right turn.

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
I'm thinking you have a problem with the forward servo and/ or its related circuit. Eitherway you can't really get at it...
So it would have to come out to even look at this?

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy

By "tranny did something unusual" I assumed one stayed together....lmao
No kidding! Staying together seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Sucks.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It did it again yesterday, but just once. Same situation: Coming out of a slow right turn.

So it would have to come out to even look at this?

No kidding! Staying together seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Sucks.
Well you should be able to see the servo, it is on the back center of the transmission case. A hump with 3 8mm bolts. The frame and the steering rak get in the way though.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy

And we all know AG babies his MC

Well, mine did it tonight, I was coming out of a left hand turn, my 6 yr old son said "punch it daddy" so who is going to say no to him.... so I did, once I got the car staight I gave it a quick 3/4 throttle, the tranny groaned and hesitated for a split second then finally took off tires squalling.....

By the way what will an replacement tranny cost either from GM or Jasper... and what will a TEP run in comparison??
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Well you should be able to see the servo, it is on the back center of the transmission case. A hump with 3 8mm bolts. The frame and the steering rak get in the way though.
So, it can't be removed without serious surgery, right?

Anyway, car is at the dealer now. I took a tech for a ride, and of course, the problem didn't show up. They kept the car so they could drive it for a few days, so hopefully it will act up for them.

I'm getting tired of dealing with tranny issues here. Depending on what happens, I'm either gonna beef up the spare trans and slap it in, or just trade the car and be done with it.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, it can't be removed without serious surgery, right?

Anyway, car is at the dealer now. I took a tech for a ride, and of course, the problem didn't show up. They kept the car so they could drive it for a few days, so hopefully it will act up for them.

I'm getting tired of dealing with tranny issues here. Depending on what happens, I'm either gonna beef up the spare trans and slap it in, or just trade the car and be done with it.
Or door #3.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Default Update!!

Got a call from the dealer today, and the problem showed up!

They're putting a new transmission in it next week! I'm shocked because car has 84,000 miles on it now, and the 5/100 warranty is up on November 22nd. I thought they might just try and rebuild it again, but they're not messing with that.

Anyway, I'm tired of having trans problems with this car, so I've been investigating my options and here's what I've turned up:

I've spent quite a bit of time talking to Dave at Triple Edge Performance, and before I knew I was getting a new trans, I was going to send him the valve body off my spare trans, and have my friend with the trans shop replace and upgrade the clutches on it, and then swap it for the one that's in the car.

But since we're getting a new trans, there's really no reason to use the 10k mile spare, so as soon as I get the car back with the new tranny, I'll take it to my buddy's shop where I'll get the TEP modded valve body and clutch upgrades done. I also have a TransGo shift kit that will be done at the same time.

In talking to Dave, the modded valve body will prevent the common problems that cause our trannys to fail: The grenading torque converter, which is caused by a poorly designed converter relief valve, and the freewheeling/slipping problem, which is caused by a bad pressure control solenoid.

So, with these mods, this should be the last time I have tranny problems with this car. Since it's a bolt-on car and I'm not racing or beating on it, I don't need the beefed-up hard parts, which saves me some coin.

Even better, I'm working out a deal with Dave @ TEP by which he'll take my spare tranny as payment (partial or all) for the stuff I'm getting from him.

At least I'm finally getting some good news on this car!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

what is he charging for the modded valve body?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS4_SS
what is he charging for the modded valve body?
$299. You get upgraded solenoids and valves and some machine work on the casting. I'm also adding a Sonnax Converter Relief valve so my converter will stay together.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

damnit that sucks.... i bought an OEM one for that much per the reccomendation of the tech. and it is still acting up

Quick Reply: This is getting old, guys...Tranny did something odd yesterday...