Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vacuum gauge sensitivity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum gauge sensitivity?

I recently lost my stock ls1 from water getting into the intake while the car was parked. Would a vacuum gauge be sensitive enough to detect a vac leak big enough to let water in? I couldn't even hear the leak but apparently it was big enough to hydro-lock the #8 and break the connecting rod. I would like to go a little overkill to avoid this from happening again. I'm already using silicone to seal everything off.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No a vacuum gauge won't BUT there are a few things that will. You can get a ultra Sonic tester that lets you listen for leaks. Also WD40 can be sprayed carefully all over the intake while the engine is running. This will cause a change in engine speed if any leaks are found. Another great way is to find someone with a Emissions Smoke machine, have them smoke test the intake manifold. This will find ALL leaks.

I know this will sound BAZARR but i'm so worried about this myself i'm going to make a shield to cover the top of the engine. This way any water getting in will just run off. I carefully sealed my cowling and push pins AND when it rains hard i check under the hood and look for any signs of water laying on the engine.

I have one last suggestion, you could take silisone and carefully seal all the injectors and the top edge of the intake so any water that does get on the engine can't get past any leaks.

Once i make my cover i'll post pictures.

Part of the problem is the reduction starter gm used on these engines has too much torque, the older style non reduction starters gm used would NOT turn over a hydro locked engine. The starter would just stop and didn't have the mechanical advantage cause breakage. I've seen lots of older style gm engines with bad head gaskets etc that refused to turn over because water was I the engine. I was also thinking about taking the LS1 starter and modding it so it can only turn over a free engine, if it would encounter high torque the starter main drive would break off saving the engine.

Good Luck

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 10-08-2010 at 06:32 PM.