LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

gen 1 crank in an lt1

Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gen 1 crank in an lt1

Ok i have done a ton of searching and found some answers but not all

I am starting a 385 build using a gen 1 crank with a 2 piece rear main seal. I know i need an adapter that is available through summit and a few other suppliers.

quick build spec's
3.75 stroke scat crank
6.0 scat forged rods
srp .040 pistons

my main question is what flex plate do i use and what balancer? i have my stock flex plate that i am pretty sure isnt usable in this build and i also have a brand new stock replacement harmonic balancer. I am not sure if that is usable.

also how do i need to have the crank balanced when it is done? ie internal at the front and external at the rear or what.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did this same thing in a 1 peice 1st gen block, you can use a 53 tooth flexplate readily available from Summit and jegs.

Use the stock dampener, have it all balanced together at the machine shop.
Have it balanced internal.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

I've been researching parts too for a build I'm about the start for my son's 96 LT1 Vette. We're shooting for going with a 4" crank and +.030" (which the replacement block already is), .040" (upping the bore .010") or .060" (depending on what the sonic testing tells us) bore.

When checking cranks on the internet - strokers only - I've found that each of them indicates the preferred/recommended balancing method. The ones I'm considering all have "internal" next to the part number and description of the crank. The ones' I'm considering are all internal balance. So that calls for neutral damper and flex-plate.

For an external balance flex-plate the weight(s) can be removed and the plate neutrally balanced. I've done that before on BB builds.

I plan to take the whole kit and caboodle to Reher and Morrison to have everything checked and balanced as needed. Even the new flex-plate and ATI Superdamper. Spin 'em up and let me know if they're "right".

Also, I've been spending a lot of time re-reading certain parts of my 96 Vette Factory Service manual and I noticed that the stock damper/pulley actually has weight(s) in it. GM includes the procedure for changing the weights should I ever need to replace the damper/pulley. Of course, my son has a 96 LT1 so your engine may be different - don't know what you have. I won't be using the stock type hub and damper though.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gen 1 crank in an lt1