Sponsored by:

Another Ticking with high oil pressure, bit different then others

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Ticking with high oil pressure, bit different then others

Hello and thank you for reading,
First let me say I have spent a lot of time researching this issue and am a bit lost, watched countless vids and read a lot of threads but there are a few things that seem different in regards to my engine that give me the impression that it’s nothing I read about yet...
Second the most recent things I have done is changed my oil about 2 weeks ago and my plugs 3 weeks ago.
Third no major mods on the car except headers, exhaust, made my own little intake.
Fourth, 127K miles, I drive conservatively in general, but this started the day after I went WOT for about 8 seconds or so playing with a 350Z.
Fifth, I double checked all the plugs and added the Lucus oil additive with no luck.
Now to symptoms, Cold start it’s nice and quiet with no tick, oil reads 60-70psi, warms up and ticking starts, oil pressure going to 20-30psi. Ticking becomes noticeable at 2k RPM, gets worse about 3K and dissipates as the RPM’s get higher. I would think its rockers, springs, lifters or O-ring, don’t think its rollers as the pressure would be lower, don’t think its plugs as they seem good. I will attach a vid here in a few.
Any input would be nice before I start pulling heads and such... Thanks for your time.

uploaded vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMeynXgPCoQ

Last edited by fueltruck; 10-09-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added vid
Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

mine did that closer to 100K, your bearing are slowly going. from my experience with my eninge you don't need a rebuild yet but wont hurt you to start saving for a new engine
Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by King Nothing
mine did that closer to 100K, your bearing are slowly going. from my experience with my eninge you don't need a rebuild yet but wont hurt you to start saving for a new engine
Hmm, this happened within 1-2 days? The on set seemed so fast I would think that its not the bearings. And what kind of rebuild kit would you recommend? Thanks for your input though. Vids loaded now if you want to hear it first hand.. It does get a bit louder then shown but its basically the same sound.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened to me as well, the motor made the ticking noise and got louder around 3K and kinda disappeared above 3.5K. When I took out my stock cam out I saw one of the lobes was all pitted up really bad.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Well thats not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input.. anyone else out there with a thought?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a bad lifter or two.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I thought it sounded like a lifter also and it seemed to be on the pass side in the back it could be one of the rockers loosing the needle bearings .. I WOULD PULL THE COVER AND CHECK AND SEE IF ANY THING IS LOOSE NOT THE BOLTS BUT THE ROCKER/PUSH RODS
Old 10-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NHRA4MULA
I thought it sounded like a lifter also and it seemed to be on the pass side in the back it could be one of the rockers loosing the needle bearings .. I WOULD PULL THE COVER AND CHECK AND SEE IF ANY THING IS LOOSE NOT THE BOLTS BUT THE ROCKER/PUSH RODS
hmm, I suppose I'll give that a shot tomorrow, thanks for the insight, if anyone else has an opinion I would love to hear it. keep em comming heh
Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

That sounds no bueno. Inspection time.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the oil filter and cut it open, If its a bearing you will see something in the filter. If its clean could be a cracked spring or bad lifter. I'd start checking some things before any bg damage happens.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely pull the valve covers and check things out. Can't tell much of the sound since your car is so loud, but you need to get in there and see whats up.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do springs loses enough presure to cause this,or do the O-ring break down and bleed oil pressure?pull the valve covers and inspect closely with a brite lite,and check the oil drain plug for needle bearing.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fueltruck
Hmm, this happened within 1-2 days? The on set seemed so fast I would think that its not the bearings. And what kind of rebuild kit would you recommend? Thanks for your input though. Vids loaded now if you want to hear it first hand.. It does get a bit louder then shown but its basically the same sound.
it all depends what you want out of the car, you can stay stock or put in a larger crank with some forged pistons and rods . . . or you can buy a engine from a sponsor. any way you do it, it's not cheap
Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for everyones input, I will be breaking it down starting with the heads and going down the block here shortly... I built a eclipse quite some time ago, JE pistons and eagle rods, that was a lot for a 4 banger.. This scares me a bit.. Cams, lifters rockers stuff like that is a reasonable amount of labor.. but the bottom end, jesus.. I wanted this to be a drag car but I dont even have a rear end yet. I'm at a loss as to how to go about this atm. Well thanks for the insight, as I pull this apart I will take pictures and let everyone know.. Maybe people can learn from the vid and know yet another thing that falls apart in this car with little to no cause..
And by all means if anyone else has any idea's feel free to let me know, the more options the better always.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like stated already, pull the valve cover and have a look around. Make sure no rockers are loose and no springs broken.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

good luck ian
Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, don't take it all apart yet. Start w/ taking the valve covers off and check for loose or big amount of play on rocker arms, springs, pushrods.

Before all of that gather all of your needed parts ie: head bolts/gaskets, O ring/new oil pump, timing chain, water pump gaskets, fluids... if you have needle bearing problem, you will need to get a new trunion rocker arm upgrade from comp cam.

Follow LS1howto.com on disassemble/assemble the motor. Don't follow the rocker arm installation though, use the GM procedure.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Before you do anything pull the oil filter and cut it open. It will tell you if anything big is hurt bad.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
Before you do anything pull the oil filter and cut it open. It will tell you if anything big is hurt bad.
Wilco, ty
Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

subscribe. mine sounds the same.

Quick Reply: Another Ticking with high oil pressure, bit different then others