Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 users?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Th400 users?

Where did you mount your tranny temp sender? Where is the best place to put it without worring about any clearence issues? Probally a no brainer question just curious if anyone has had problems with where they put it.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

also, how does the sprocket and sendor for the speedo meter work??
thanks
ed
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put it in my passenger side of the oil pan. Use a insulated thermocouple wire and just run it up the tranny and through the firewall by the PCM somewhere.

As far as the speedo goes, the sprocket gets pressed onto the shaft inside the tail section. Then the sending unit is bolted into the side of the tranny. Then get the connector and splice it into the speedo wire from your factory harness. No polarity, just hook it up. Then you need to recalibrate your VSS pulse rate by increasing your tire diameter. My car thinks that it's on 57" tall tires to get the ratio pretty close to correct. That's for six speed conversions. A4 Conversions use a different pulse rate that you need to adjust to. Best way is to keep adjusting it using a fixed RPM in 3rd gear to obtain your MPH. Continue to adjust until they match the calculated MPH. Or get an officer to clock you a couple times. Sometimes that works, depending on how cool your local police are.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I mounted mine in the same place as Derty. I have an Autometer Pro-Comp tranny temp gauge installed in a dual pod. As far as speedo goes......well, it's on my list after I have the tranny freshened up in at the end of the upcoming season.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason, maybe you should break that tranny in before you get it freshened up
Old 01-31-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, your a funny guy. Go blow up another new engine Jim.

Its gotten a few break in miles. Its only been away from the dragstrip for 2 years....so its gonna get thrashed this year.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

so is there a place for the speedo sensor to bolt in? I have the sender peice and the sprocket, I just cant find a place for them to bolt in. or do I have to make aplace for it?

any pics??

thanks for all the help
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 01-31-2004, 09:17 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The location is on the transmission housing by the tail shaft. Looking at the transmission from the rear it should be at the 10 o'clock position. You won't be able to just plug it in. The exciter ring needs to be installed in there. Also, it might be possible that your housing doesn't have the location in it for the sensor.