Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing chain question.

Got a question for the experts. I'm in the midst of rebuilding my motor and was planning on reusing my Rollmaster Adjustable Double timing chain set. Now the chain has about 8 to 10k miles on it and seems to have developed some slack. I was thinking about using a LS2 dampener to help with bind and get rid of the slack. And I've also heard that it helps with harmonics. Has anyone heard of a Rollmaster double chain breaking? Should I just go ahead and get a new timing chain set and if so which one? I'm really not liking the slack in my chain and don't know if just using a dampener is the right fix for the problem. I plan on still using the dampener no matter if I get a new timing chain set or not.

Thx Rusty.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS2 timing chain damper won't fit an LS1/LS6 block. You can drill it but the holes will be close to the edge of the boss. The damper will also be narrower then the timing chain. The Harmonic Damper is critical as well. Get a good one such as ATI. (even stock is better then a lot of aftermarket units). ASP seems to have a lot of broken timing chains associated with it. As for breaking a Rollmaster double, do a search and I think you will find the answer is yes.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Lol actually I've read a few of your posts on the LS2 damper I'm in the midst of drilling out the block for it. Should have enough room on bosses. The thing is I already have a Powerbond Pulley in hand. Haven't installed it yet though. I take it you wouldn't recommend using it? So if I switched out the Rollmaster what would you recommend? You suggested to a friend of mine to get a Cloyes set with IRL chain but I'm not sure if Scoggin Dickeys have anymore in stock since at the time he purchased it, they had 3 left. Is there another timing set that would work as well?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

All chains develop slack after a few thousand miles. An average person would run it like this not knowing any better unless they opened it back up like you did. Its normal. Chains do stretch.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah from reading on here I can see that now. But I got a buddy of mine that has his engine open and his LS1 timing chain doesn't have as much slack as mine. His LS1 has 18k miles while mine has like I said 8-10k. It just seems like it has too much slack. Also has had any problems with a Powerbond Pulley? I've heard of problems with the ASP. And I really don't want to switch up to an ATI at this moment. If I have to I'll go back to the stock one.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your douting it then just change it since your rebuilding anyways. Its not worth ruining an engine over $250 bucks.