LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Done My Lid Conversion And Have Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done My Lid Conversion And Have Q's

First off, I can't get pics up right now. But it looks pretty good. I used an SLP lid and cut some of my crossbrace to fit in the K&N. I also used Fernco couplers.

I datalogged the car yesterday to see if there were any gains from doing the conversion. What I want to know is "Exactly what AFGS is???". I was thinking it is the amount of air flow coming in read by the MAF.

Compared to past datalogs the AFGS are off pretty bad. But I wanted to consult with you guys first before I freak out too bad. Logs from earlier this summer had me near 370 and with the lid, I'm at 257. Does this mean the lid choked me down???

Also, I'm thinking my intake temp is a little higher. Maybe it wasn't worth doing all this work to convert the air intake????
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at your KPA instead, that is pressure in the manifold.

AFGS is airflow across the MAF sensor but it is also uncorrected data and can change depending on temp/altitude etc. KPA will change as well, but KPA is a better gauge of how much restriction you had in your intake setup.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
Look at your KPA instead, that is pressure in the manifold.

AFGS is airflow across the MAF sensor but it is also uncorrected data and can change depending on temp/altitude etc. KPA will change as well, but KPA is a better gauge of how much restriction you had in your intake setup.

If BAR is 100 KPA for example. When you are at WOT, the closer the MAP value is to 100KPA, the smaller the restriction and better the filling of the cylinders. If the value were for example 92KPA, that would be very restrictive and not good. I will guess you will be around 96KPA or so which is very good. FWIW, it is not possible to have the MAP = BAR at WOT with a NA motor.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

When I had it tuned, he mentioned something about the kpa being the same as some kinda pressure. Said my car looked restricted so we unhooked the airbox and found some ponies. Which is why I wanted to swap to a lid setup.

I can't remember right off what the kpa read yesterday. I'm thinking 94-95. It fluctuates alot. At the dyno it was high 80s low 90s. I'm at work now but when I get home I will post some info from yesterday.

What information should I look for in determining if there's an improvement or not????
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can expect less restriction by removing all ducting in front of the throttle body. This makes for prettier dyno charts and thats about it. If you saw high 80's and low 90's in KPA on the dyno, thats a big restriction in front of the TB IMO.

If you currently have a LS1 lid and high flow filter installed, it really gets no better than that. I saw that the K&N FIPK provided 2 KPA less restriction that the Moroso CAI I had. Same thing with the 58mm over the 52mm TB.

If you are driving the car and watching the MAP at WOT, it is normal for it to fluctuate. When I tested several CAI's years ago by watching MAP, I used a datalogger like TTS datamaster and it will get you close to within a couple points or so.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

my kpa's during a run are normally from 101-105, and my IAT's are anywhere from 10-20 degrees cooler than my buddies with a k&n cai and a vortec elbow. And people say any cai is as good as ram air, ha.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
You can expect less restriction by removing all ducting in front of the throttle body. This makes for prettier dyno charts and thats about it. If you saw high 80's and low 90's in KPA on the dyno, thats a big restriction in front of the TB IMO.

If you currently have a LS1 lid and high flow filter installed, it really gets no better than that. I saw that the K&N FIPK provided 2 KPA less restriction that the Moroso CAI I had. Same thing with the 58mm over the 52mm TB.

If you are driving the car and watching the MAP at WOT, it is normal for it to fluctuate. When I tested several CAI's years ago by watching MAP, I used a datalogger like TTS datamaster and it will get you close to within a couple points or so.
I compared several of my datalogs last night. And you're right. I've been looking at the wrong thing. The new lid setup is showing a higher KPA on datamaster. Lowest the car previously had was an 89 at 6k. Now its around 94. I compared all rpm ranges and there's no less than a numerical increase of 2. Highest kpa was 98.2 at 4k.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
my kpa's during a run are normally from 101-105, and my IAT's are anywhere from 10-20 degrees cooler than my buddies with a k&n cai and a vortec elbow. And people say any cai is as good as ram air, ha.
That's awesome. The curves in the original intake setup or even an aftermarket setup just plain out sucks! Too many bends and its pulling air from the bottom. A ram air setup has to be better.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

98 vs 89....sounds significant to me!