Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Speedo hook up to 4l60E, what wire?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electronic Speedo hook up to 4l60E, what wire?

I am trying to get my speedo working and the wire off the PCm isnt exactly working, when I slow down or stop the speedo swings over to max then settles to half and then when I take off it will catch up by coming down to my actual speed, this has done it through two speedos ( I am using Dolphin). Do I have a bad PCM? what wire do I hook up the speedo to at the transmission?

Any assistance would be great, Thanks All!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Try hooking it directly to the speed sensor, the high ref one.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response LS1Nova! I want to hook it up to the VSS near the trans, which one is the high ref one? I have two "hot" wires coming from the VSS at the trans, not sure which one.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

It's C2 21 if you're using a truck harness, I'm sure an Ls1 is the same though. Just tap into it, don't cut it.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Thanks LS1Nova,

But please understand I am totally unfamiliar with these, where would C2 21 be?
Yes it is a truck harness. Is there a color I should be looking for?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

C2 21 is the PCM connector number. If your PCM has blue and red connectors, it would be on the red one. But if you want to hook it up at the VSS on the transmission, it's the purple wire with a white stripe.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

you totally rock LS1Nova! i will put you in my will!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

I hope that fixes your problem. I had to hook up my Autometer speedo directly to the vss before it would work at all.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

The people at Dolphin asked if it was from the PCM or straight off the Trans sensor, at first it was off the PCM, but like I said it worked some but racked up the miles prematurely to say the least. When I get home, I will crawl under and attach it to the wire you said, Thanks again and I will let you know.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

OK, I hooked it up at the sensor and the speedo does the same thing, could it be the sensor?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you calibrate the speedo as the instructions state? I connected mine to the PCM and works.....it was acting retarded, until you enter calibrate mode, it is right on the button now....

T,
Old 10-18-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Yes I followed the instructions perfectly and multiple times just to make sure I did it right. Do you have a Dolphin speedo?

BTW I love ur car! I have a friend who has one like urs, similar color, hoever he insists on a BBC, I havent been able to convert him yet, but I am still working!

Last edited by Clyde65; 10-18-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Curious how you got the speedo to function at all taping into the VSS wire since it's a completely different signal
Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I am just following their instructions, when I had it hooked up to the wire supplied coming out of the PCM, it worked but would basically peg on stops, now that it is hooked up to the vss from the trans, it does the same damn thing. I am going to change the VSS sensor just for kicks, they have me jumping through 47K hoops and all. If I had access to a different brand to make sure it was the speedo and not the trans or tune or WTF it might be. as you can see I am pretty frustrated with all this....sorry.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Clyde65
Yes I followed the instructions perfectly and multiple times just to make sure I did it right. Do you have a Dolphin speedo?

BTW I love ur car! I have a friend who has one like urs, similar color, hoever he insists on a BBC, I havent been able to convert him yet, but I am still working!
No, have autometer, but they all work on the same signal. Looked at the Dolphin site, they don't really give you a lot of info. What PCM are you running? Is there a setting to change the input signal, or any kind of adjustment on the back?

Thanks on the car, it was alot of work....

T,
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Move it back to the PCM output and have the tune set for your gear ratio/tire diameter (conversion factor)

Simply put, your VSS outputs 40ppr (pulse per revolution). You need either a conversion box or your PCM to decode this into something legible

Your PCM converts the raw signal to 4000ppm (pulse per mile) which any GM speedo will recognize. Since aftermarket speedos follow the "big 3" primarily, you can bet their gauges are calibrated to read the "Big 3's" signals which are primarily 4000ppm
Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

TomM, No Dolphin has been a PITA to work with. PCM is the stock 02 truck PCM. There is only the electronic settings on the Dolphin. I bet it was alot of work, but the enjoyment is outweighing the memory of the hard work I hope.

Pocket, I had it on the PCM wire and the same thing happened. I would think it would work there. I am going to change the speed sensor and hook it back to the PCM and see what it does. I also had the tune set for the gear ratio and tire size when the PCM was tuned by Wait4Me. WHat you said is what I thought from the begining, why would Dolphin tell me to hook it straight to the Vss wire and also why would the other guage MFr give those instructions also?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Are you on pin 50....dark green\white tracer? What wire\number are you using?

Look at the back of the speedo, and see if there are any DIP switches to set it to 4K ppm..........

Also, just because you had it tuned, doesn't mean they did it. If you have the tune file, and it's HP tuners, I can check it for you if you provide the tire size and gear ratio, or see if your tuner can look at it just to double check. Sometimes things happen, and it can get overlooked.

Auto meter also says to hook it to the VSS. Some vehicles could use a VSS and no computer to calculate the data from the VSS. The PCM does do this, so no need to go to that wire.

You're gonna love this swap, once you get it all dialed in, these LS motors are great, set it and forget it.......I have almost 6K on mine, it's a blast to cruise.....

T,
Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

The pin I dont know but the wire is definately a green/white stripe wire. When I had it hooked to the PCM it worked but when I stopped, the needle went all the way to 160MPH, slowly went down to 80MPH and then when I moved, it would slowly catch up to my correct speed.

I have looked at the back of the speedo, nothing there.

I agree with the tune stuff, somethings are not what they should be but I cannot afford to get a re tune right now. I would love to get a Nelson tune, but they always want to get paid for their stuff, funny how that works huh.

I already love this swap, I am just real frustrated with this small important issue. My truck runs better than it ever has and it is very fun to drive, I need this resolved so Johnny Law doesnt take notice of me, ya know?

I really appreciate you TomM and everyone who has information for my situation. This is why I frequent this site as much as I do, very informative and people who are willing to answer questions from un-educated swappers.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Can you get your hands on the tune file? I can look at it for you, no charge.....

Has to be in HP tuners though......

If you can, then we can see what tire size, gear ratio etc.......doesn't sound like it's the problem, but we can start to eliminate some things.

Have you contacted Dolphin, to see about a new gauge? Maybe even find a used autometer and hook it up to see if it persists......

T,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronic Speedo hook up to 4l60E, what wire?