Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would aftermarket adjustable roller rockers quite valve train?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would aftermarket adjustable roller rockers quite valve train?

I have a 98 WS6 LS1 with 143k miles.

Mods:
MS3 cam
Ported 853's(awaiting ported 243's)
PRC double springs, and Texas Speed pushrods
LS6 intake, SLP lid, stock rockers and lifters.
LS6 ported oil pump

I have annoyingly loud valve train, that it more noticable in the car. Mostly between 1500-3000rpm, which i know to be normal. This is a big cam, with aggressive ramp rates, and stout springs. I have the 7.4" pushrods, and pretty sure i measured correctly.

I am trying to see if going to adjustable roller rockers would help with noise, and gain me any power? I plan on using stock ratio, so as to not have to fly cut the pistons, and will be swapping to LS7 lifters. With that said, would I need shorter pushrods with the LS7 lifters (provided i have adjustable's)?

Thanks in advance! By the way the motor runs perfect, has been tuned, and put down around 385 to the tires with a 6500rpm let-off.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Please? I feel like banging my head on the steering wheel! I know I can quiet my valve train some...just need some direction?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

IIRC the stock rockers with a trunion upgrade would be a good place to go with, being lighter than most aftermarket rockers, but i could be wrong
Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Learn to live w/ it.

I think ppl have tried everything. Hell my buddies stock C6Z is louder than my drive train.

I have Comp R lifters & Yella Terra's, fairly quiet but right around 2k it sounds like it is goin to fly apart.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kept the same cam on my 346 when I switched over to the TFS heads with Yella Terra's and my vaivetrain got quieter. I now have a 238/250 .603/.613 cam with the same heads and rockers and it is very quiet also. The YT's are true rollers and IMO that is what makes them quiet if set up properly...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleLS1
Please? I feel like banging my head on the steering wheel! I know I can quiet my valve train some...just need some direction?
I know how you feel man. Could you post up a video so i could compare with mine? I have an LS6 in my 04 CTS-V and have been doing everything except for tearing back into my motor to replace the lifters.

Mods:
74K on the clock
Stock lifters
232/234 Torquer V2
PRC Duals
Ti seats and ret.
Stock gasket thickness... replaced with MLS .051 during cam swap
Heads were worked over for the valve gross lift of .595"/.597"

Chrom. push rods...first at 7.400"... Then for some reason, one of the three "preferred" methods gave me an outrageous pre-load calculation. 2-1/4 turns till 22ft lbs after zero lash. So i just put 7.35's in today. It seems like the sewing machine sound has quieted down a bit, but there is still ticking. But i swear its with all damn 16 valves/lifters/rockers. I can't seem to find the culprit here. I want to go with LS7's and a thinner head gasket for more quench. But I'm afraid to do anything else without fixing the current annoyance.

Motor runs strong as hell. Pulls like a no other with stock manifolds. Just this damn tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your screen name is T which is short for the sound of your motor apparently........
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Teching In

It's quite frustrating for people to get in your car, and mention the noisy valvetrain. I myself am learning to deal with it, and found that louder exhaust, or radio make me forget the noise. I will just deal with it till I go turbo, and go back to a ZO6 cam. I guess the noise just made me nervous that the motor was on it's last leg. Took it out this weekend and ran the dog crap out of it at nearly 6800 rpm, and its still going strong.

For what it's worth the noise on only unbearable at 1500-2400 ish, other than that it sounds almost normal. I will try to get a video of the noise for you T.

Quick Reply: Would aftermarket adjustable roller rockers quite valve train?