LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need to know how to hook up a shift light, oil pressure guage, water temp guage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need to know how to hook up a shift light, oil pressure guage, water temp guage.

Would like to put up a pillar guage that has a shift light, oil pressure guage, water temp guage. No idea how to hook any of them up. Does each guage come with it's own kit or will I have to rig on up myself and how do I hook them up.

Since I have an empty engine bay it might be a good idea to figure out the wiring now espicially since I'm sure it has to go through the firewall. Thanx
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each gauge will come with everything you need. The shift light just has to hook up to the tach wire from the PCM
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Would like to put up a pillar guage that has a shift light, oil pressure guage, water temp guage. No idea how to hook any of them up. Does each guage come with it's own kit or will I have to rig on up myself and how do I hook them up.

Since I have an empty engine bay it might be a good idea to figure out the wiring now espicially since I'm sure it has to go through the firewall. Thanx

Yea the shift light will prob come with 3 wires...white, black, red
the red to a switched 12v, Black to a ground and white to the Pink/Black wire that hooks to your coil......

oil pressure should come with 1 wire that goes to the sending unit they supply...red to switched 12v, black to ground and they may have another wire that goes to your headlight switch to turn the light on in the gauge at night..

water temp gauge is the same just a different sender...

It is all really easy once you get them and lay everything out...

Matt
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually you can have all of those in one gauge. Aeroforce interceptor, I have everything you listed plus fuel pressure. You have to buy a kit for the oil pressure and fuel pressure to work on analog 1 and analog 2 of the gauge. Plus, there are many other items you can monitor with the unit and it also acts as a scan tool / code clearer.

It's the one I have in my A/C vent:

Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Actually you can have all of those in one gauge. Aeroforce interceptor
Unfortunately those of us with OBD1 get screwed and don't have that option

Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
Unfortunately those of us with OBD1 get screwed and don't have that option

Not necessarily. The Analogic Gauge they offer has four 5v inputs for various sensors (which in the OPs case would work perfectly). This is the route I am planning on taking when I decide that the factory gauges aren't accurate enough. The only drawback is that you can only view two of the inputs at one time, not all four (but you can cycle through at any time).
Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Not necessarily. The Analogic Gauge they offer has four 5v inputs for various sensors (which in the OPs case would work perfectly). This is the route I am planning on taking when I decide that the factory gauges aren't accurate enough. The only drawback is that you can only view two of the inputs at one time, not all four (but you can cycle through at any time).
Didn't know about the analogic line, very nice.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

I did not notice that OP was OBD I. Other poster is correct on the Analogic for OBDI.

Quick Reply: Need to know how to hook up a shift light, oil pressure guage, water temp guage.