LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stupid argument on youtube. Pontiac WS6 airbox VS SLP airbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default stupid argument on youtube. Pontiac WS6 airbox VS SLP airbox

I am having a discussion with someone on youtube about how there were 2 different LT1 airboxes offered. One is OEM like the one on my car with the Pontiac Ram Air lettering and the rubber gasket and the other has no gasket (its on the hood) and no Pontiac Ram Air due to copyright reasons. Am i right on this? he claims the box i have pictured in the second pic is an aftermarket one and that the only one made by SLP is the Pontiac one and that Pontiac didn't make their own box. I'm pretty sure SLP had a hand in making the box but Pontiac still helped make it.

I swear i remember seeing SLP selling a $300 ram air kit which was essentially the lower pictured airbox with the gaskets for the hood and an AIR extension hose.

Am i right?

Pontiac box

SLP box
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopped reading at "arguing with someone on youtube"

As that's where you screwed up.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL i figured i'd get some of that.

I'm just trying to prove i'm right since the guy keeps telling me i don't know what i'm talking about. Considering i bought all the parts to convert my car to ram air i'm pretty sure i do, lol.

Oh then there's the matter of me asking the guy who was in charge of the Firebird during the time when the WS6 was being developed that told me how Pontiac was developing it with SLP but it was still a pontiac thing. i found out they sent several molds to different local places near detroit to get the hoods made (mine was one of the prototypes from one of those companies)
Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Same box, the red car has the seal on the hood as mine did. The tops may be a little different, but the bottoms I have looked at are almost all identical.

There would definatley be a copyright issue from Pontiac with using thier name. If you look at replacement front bumper caps for these cars that are not GM, the Camaro doesnt have the bowtie and the firebird has no bird(if it had one from GM) for this reason. This is a telltale sign the car was wrecked.

Suncoast hoods also offered this setup.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

BTW SLP developed way more for these cars than you know.

SLP developed all the SS and WS6 Cars as far as I know.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Same box, the red car has the seal on the hood as mine did. The tops may be a little different, but the bottoms I have looked at are almost all identical.

There would definatley be a copyright issue from Pontiac with using thier name. If you look at replacement front bumper caps for these cars that are not GM, the Camaro doesnt have the bowtie and the firebird has no bird(if it had one from GM) for this reason. This is a telltale sign the car was wrecked.

Suncoast hoods also offered this setup.
actually, your only half right on that one. I have had 2 bumper covers replaced on my car, both OEM GM. Neither of them came with the bird. it's a $50 sticker that is seperate from the front bumper. Both times mine was replaced (once due to the car wash and once due to a bale of hay) i had the shop order the sticker and install it, esp since the insurance company was paying for it.

and yeah i know SLP designed a lot for the cars but I'm pretty sure the WS6 was still in conjunction with Pontiac and that SLP was allowed to sell their own version of the box laetr without the logo. not sure why they couldn't use the formed rubber gasket. Those real Pontiac boxes are starting to fetch a LOT of money.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SLP only got their hands on the first year or two of the trans am, then another performance company took it over.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Young camaro
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SLP only got their hands on the first year or two of the trans am, then another performance company took it over.
yeah i believe it was ASC who converted the 98-02 WS6's
Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

there was also the SLP designed and made air box for the Firehawks, so I guess that makes three.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that SLP did make a different box as the one I have on my car is a direct replacement from SLP. Back when my brother wrecked the car in 1999 and we had to replace the Suncoast hood the dealer/body shop we had it at offered to replace it with the official SLP parts (hood and airbox), however they said they could not put the Pontiac Ram Air SLP box on my car due to the fact GM would not sell it without a WS6 matching VIN (at this time). But the hood and box did come from SLP - therefore the hood is identical and so is the box (upper and lower) and as stated the only difference is the gasket is not on the lid it's on the hood and the "Pontiac Ram Air" is not on the lid. Here's a pic of mine:

Old 10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
there was also the SLP designed and made air box for the Firehawks, so I guess that makes three.
Probably the best design of all. Look at the surface area of the filter exposed. Plus it was designed in 1992. I would know. I saw the first 4th gen Firehawk at the Jacobs Javits Center in NY in April of 1993 with this airbox.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

so you had to have a matching VIN to buy the GM airbox? damn, that does make those airboxes rare. no wonder they are going for $400+ now. And to think i got the airbox, a K&N filter, and the MAF to TB bellow for $115 shipped to my door
Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Chevy designed the box,it was used on the vette,slp began using there modified version of it on the first 4th gen hawks,then when GM wanted the WS.6 built,they went to SLP because of there previous success with the firehawk,and other specialty vehicles they created.There were two different designs,the early (93-95) and then in 96 when the WS.6 came out,then they were exactly the same minus the lettering and gasket to the hood. Back in the day a VIN and proof of ownership was required to purchase a hood,air box,or WS.6 emblem,and maybe the wheels as well. Hope that answers any of your questions about your "I stole this original WS.6 airbox" And Im special because its special because i got it for so cheap rants that you have continued to make over the last year or more.Its just a piece of plastic,just like all the those "fuellie" heads are just cast iron relics of the past that are not worth **** anymore.Maybe I should cash out on my air boxes,I have two of them.And will be selling the car soon anyways. Sorry jason... had to vent,I just dont understand why everyone is getting their panties in a wad over some piece of plastic,that was designed in 1990.

Last edited by gjohnsonws6; 10-15-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Hope that answers any of your questions about your "I stole this original WS.6 airbox" And Im special because its special because i got it for so cheap rants that you have continued to make over the last year or more.
don't forget about the prototype hood.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its just a piece of plastic,just like all the those "fuellie" heads are just cast iron relics of the past that are not worth **** anymore.
Wrong thread and forum for it, but I strongly disagree with this statement. It's been spewed everywhere since the "mighty" vortec heads have been praised near and far....and exalted on high. Despite the fact that each comparison has pitted the best flowing vortecs (some 3/4 & 1 ton truck ones are not nearly as good) against the most plain "double hump" heads. Sure you could argue that it's fair being that both are 1.94"/1.50" valved, 64cc heads, but that still isn't real world. Those same people repeatedly say the vortecs are about as good as they get with the stock valves and valve job and respond only mildly to porting. The fuelie heads on the other hand respond well to both porting and larger valves. Also, the vortecs are thin castings prone to cracking whereas the fuelie heads are much thicker.

Also.....lots of those fuelie heads came from the factory with screw in studs, guideplates, and 2.02"/1.60" valves. I've never seen the better stock fuelie heads compared to vortecs. I'm not saying that the newer chambers and ports are not better....just that to say the old stuff is crap is not only offensive, but just plain wrong.

The same kinda junk is going on again with people bashing the square port LS3/L92 heads saying how they suck compared to fully ported aftermarket $2,000+ aftermarket cathedral port heads. How they kill torque..blah blah. I have been threw all that with magazines downing Rectangle port bbc heads and praising oval ports already too. It's a bunch of propaganda to boost sales.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Chevy designed the box,it was used on the vette,slp began using there modified version of it on the first 4th gen hawks,then when GM wanted the WS.6 built,they went to SLP because of there previous success with the firehawk,and other specialty vehicles they created.There were two different designs,the early (93-95) and then in 96 when the WS.6 came out,then they were exactly the same minus the lettering and gasket to the hood. Back in the day a VIN and proof of ownership was required to purchase a hood,air box,or WS.6 emblem,and maybe the wheels as well. Hope that answers any of your questions about your "I stole this original WS.6 airbox" And Im special because its special because i got it for so cheap rants that you have continued to make over the last year or more.Its just a piece of plastic,just like all the those "fuellie" heads are just cast iron relics of the past that are not worth **** anymore.Maybe I should cash out on my air boxes,I have two of them.And will be selling the car soon anyways. Sorry jason... had to vent,I just dont understand why everyone is getting their panties in a wad over some piece of plastic,that was designed in 1990.
sorry i threw that in. that really wasn't the point of this thread. the dude was adament that the non gasketed airbox was not built by GM or SLP. that was what i was trying to prove him wrong on.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Give the guy a link to this thread.Anyone want to buy an airbox or two?Ive got a pile of 492's,186's and 292's layin in the garage,I should sell those too
Old 10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 3, IIRC.

The early firehawks had the same airbox as the same year C4 vettes. The WS6's had the pontiac labeled one, and the later firehawk's had the non-labeled one. I believe the C4 vette ones where the biggest (early firehawks), and the other 2 where the same size.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
Where can you find these types of air lids I have a firehawk but it has the ram air lid and would kill to get a actually firehawk one!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also don't forget the 93 Firehawk

This was a one year run. They are very rare.

This is my 93
Name:  C7C87145-8864-4201-80AA-F4571990E64B_zpsfvx4pms7.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  65.9 KB

Quick Reply: stupid argument on youtube. Pontiac WS6 airbox VS SLP airbox