LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Syntheic trans fluid,who running it, good/bad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Syntheic trans fluid,who running it, good/bad...

Like the title say's,I've been running this since I put the headers in...Ever since then I've been having more problems with my trans then before the filter & fluid change...I aslo notice it smell's burnt,but the fluid still looks bright red and no shavings in the fluid???Thought's?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Like the title say's,I've been running this since I put the headers in...Ever since then I've been having more problems with my trans then before the filter & fluid change...I aslo notice it smell's burnt,but the fluid still looks bright red and no shavings in the fluid???Thought's?
Rule of thumb with these transmissions: Do not perform a transmission flush and stick with DEXRON VI.

Last edited by GXP25; 10-13-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

really what should we use? i heard that we should try and stay with the dexron
Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Launching!

I did a trans flush with BG cleaner and conditioner and dex 6 fluid and have had no probs. But I did it for maintenance reasons and dont have any probs with my trans.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by GXP25
Rule of thumb with these transmissions: Do not perform a transmission flush and stick with DEXRON VI.
That's what I thought I heard on here but was not sure,I called the dealership to see if using Castrol syntheic Dexron VI would cause it to slip...There only answer was we only use the MFG uses and did I put the filter in incorrect...

Originally Posted by MonteSS8707
I did a trans flush with BG cleaner and conditioner and dex 6 fluid and have had no probs. But I did it for maintenance reasons and dont have any probs with my trans.
I did mine for maintenance reasons as well as putting my headers on due to losing fluid while pulling out the trans dip stick...I am gonna be redoing this but with MFG parts and fluid...and adding a drain plug...

Anyone have an idea on why it smells burnt???
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Syn in a 4t65e will make it start slipping. I run a mix of dex 6 non-syn, Coastal makes it(AutoZone), and something else. At least stick to just regular old dex 6. Don't worry this happens to our V-6 little borthers too.

-Mike

Last edited by Mgpeagle; 10-14-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fluid smells burnt because the friction plates are slipping like a beeeotch.

-Mike
Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Syn in a 4t65e will make it start slipping. I run a mix of dex 6 non-syn, coastal makes it, and something else. At least stick to just regular old dex 6. Don't worry this happens to our V-6 little borthers too.

-Mike
that what i thought i read or heard from someone on here...Will be changeing back to Dex 6 this wknd,and throwing in the shift kit as well...

The fluid smells burnt because the friction plates are slipping like a beeeotch.

-Mike
thanks Mike i do appricate the help

Dom
Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Ironically in my GS I was running Royal Purple ATF. My diff broke and after fixing it I could not find enough Royal Purple ATF so I went with DEX and my trans lasted for 10k more and then messed up. Fluid turned brown and stinks now before was red. Just my own experience.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CalamitySS
Ironically in my GS I was running Royal Purple ATF. My diff broke and after fixing it I could not find enough Royal Purple ATF so I went with DEX and my trans lasted for 10k more and then messed up. Fluid turned brown and stinks now before was red. Just my own experience.
Yeah when I change my fluid,it was black and smelled bad (26k miles)...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem helping out. I've already made this mistake so I know what happens when full syn. is introduced to the 4t65e. The trans. "should" go back to normal within a 100 miles after you change the fluid to Dex 6. If it doesn't then the friction plates are shot. Syn sucks for these transmissions...especially RP ATF and Mobile 1 fully synthetic.

-Mike
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem helping out. I've already made this mistake so I know what happens when full syn. is introduced to the 4t65e. The trans. "should" go back to normal within a 100 miles after you change the fluid to Dex 6. If it doesn't then the friction plates are shot. Syn sucks for these transmissions...especially RP ATF and Mobile 1 fully synthetic.

-Mike
Well I hope the friction plates are not shot,don't fill like spendin 4k for the TEP tranny after shipping ,install,etc...I hope the transgo shift kit helps out...
Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Well I hope the friction plates are not shot,don't fill like spendin 4k for the TEP tranny after shipping ,install,etc...I hope the transgo shift kit helps out...
Hi Dom,

My 10k miles spare tranny (in perfect condition) might be available if Dave @ TEP doesn't give me enough value in our barter deal for a valve body and soft parts.

Hopefully, you won't need it, but I just wanted you to know that a good one is available locally, if you need it.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Hi Dom,

My 10k miles spare tranny (in perfect condition) might be available if Dave @ TEP doesn't give me enough value in our barter deal for a valve body and soft parts.

Hopefully, you won't need it, but I just wanted you to know that a good one is available locally, if you need it.
Sup Mike,

If your willing to part way with it,how much you sell it to a Local So Cal Ls4 owner...you can PM me a price,and maybe we can work out a deal...Thanks for the help...

Dom