Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust...cant decide

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust...cant decide

i have a borla on now its aggressvie but not loud enough, so i wanna put on a new muffler, i was gonna do a glasspack cause they sound hellish and i dont mind the rumble but my friend said put on a flowmaster series ( he's biased to flowmaster) so what should i put on now? idk what i wanna put on, advice and comments please lol
Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Get a powerstick from classic chambered. I have one my car, and it is definately a good sound. Listen on their website and you'll be able to hear a z with the muffler. You won't be disappointed
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What mods do you have and what will you be getting? I went from a Flowmaster to a Borla because its a lot louder. And then I cammed it too

Only thing thats gonna be louder is loudmouth but it sounds like **** if you ever do headers and especially a cam. Or what about getting a cutout? With an electric plate you can be loud when you want or not. Lots of options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM8RAThxc7Y

Thats idling with a small cam and longtubes.
TECH Enthusiast

What mods do you have and what will you be getting? I went from a Flowmaster to a Borla because its a lot louder. And then I cammed it too

Only thing thats gonna be louder is loudmouth but it sounds like **** if you ever do headers and especially a cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM8RAThxc7Y

Thats idling with a small cam and longtubes.
TECH Enthusiast

And this video is my Flowmaster with long tubes and ORY. I liked how it sounded, but I wanted it louder and I love Borla. Is your Borla the adjustable version? If so, do you have the open plate? IMO, glasspacks sound like crap on LS1s. But, whatever makes you happy, it's your car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qspTIhJs3L0
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

i was thinking of going with cut-out awhile ago but wasn't sure how thatd go with pa's emmissions, and my borla doesnt look like the adjustable one and i heard they sound like crap on ls1's

Last edited by 2000z28camaro; 10-15-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add more content in one post
Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dynomax Bullets FTW!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's pretty hard to get any advice on exhaust sound for these cars on the internet. Sound is subjective; what sounds good to one person may sound terrible to the next. So even if someone had the exact same mods as you and said theirs sounded great, you might be highly disappointed with the same setup. The other reason is because the sound and loudness of the exhaust changes drastically on these cars with mods. For example, I put a magnaflow catback on my car when it was basically stock. I thought it was way too quiet. Then I did heads/+compression/cam/lt's/ory/stall etc.... after all of that it was way too loud and I had to find a way to quiet it down.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

If you don't want to use a cut-out and always want to be loud (but do not want to change to duals) while using a Flowmaster, I would replace the muffler with with a 10 series single in/out and a dump or custom hidden tailpipe. Sorta like a Mufflex system. i had a custom single made with a Borla XR-1 and a cut-out in the I pipe. For me it was the best of both worlds without going to duals.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flowmaster is for mustangs