Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Deep Dish Wheels & Drag Coefficient???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Deep Dish Wheels & Drag Coefficient???

So the trend today in cars, you see them from the Civic to the Maxima, and Camaro to BMW, is the deep dish style aftermarket rim (in most cases it is aftermarket). What is this doing to the car's aerodynamics? I recall the Aero package on the 80's Trans Am brought the drag coefficient pretty much to the current z06 at .29 largely by putting all but flat faced rims on the car.

So...
What is the Drag Coefficient change of deep dish wheels?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that it's all that much, ESPECIALLY at public road speeds. The wheels on the T/A were more hype, than anything else. The spoiler and side skirts probably helped a bit, but then those cars sat SO high from the factory, at least mine was, that I doubt the quoted aero drag numbers were on the money...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ZERO affect...for street cars. Get it out on a road race track competing and then every little bit helps.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed with those above. i dont see how this little bit of lip could cause that much drag during average driving to make any difference.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I was wondering quite the opposite. I have read a couple, albeit internet and unreliable, people's opinions who say that the deeper dish actually improves drag coefficient over the thin spoke design seen on so many factory and aftermarket wheels i.e. my SS 10 spokes. If it is as efficient as Honda's Civic hybrid rims to have a deep dish, that would make them pretty impressive. I'm not diluted enough to think that it would shave a tenth, or add a couple mph, or even appreciably improve mph. I would flatten the undercarriage with abs plastic first, and I am not about to do that!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at it this way...At Bonneville, where top speed is everything, they all run "Moon Discs" on their wheels. But again, those folks are running some big numbers.

Quick Reply: Deep Dish Wheels & Drag Coefficient???