Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Can the GTO serve as a family car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can the GTO serve as a family car?

Hey guys, I'm looking around for another car and wouldn't mind it being a GTO. As far as new cars we're looking mainly at a Subaru Legacy GT or a Mustang GT. I wouldn't mind either of those, and the wife likes them both, but I keep coming back to a GTO. It would be a good $10k cheaper than either of those, which is nice. So I guess my questions are:

How well would I fit being 6'4" 270lbs? (I know, I'm fat. I'm working on it though)

How big is the back seat since there will have to be 1 or 2 baby seats in it? Will the little guy (21 months) have enough leg room behind me for a couple years?

How big is the trunk, and for a family of three, how many days worth of luggage do you think it could hold in the trunk / back seat?

What is a fair price for one around 50k miles?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for fun cars under $25k(any more than that and I'll step up to new). Fun being defined as powerful, sport-ish suspension, rear or all wheel drive, a manual transmission, and of course, room for little people.

Thanks, Adam.

P.S. This won't be the main family car, we have the Xterra for that. Just looking for something to replace my Camaro and get better gas mileage, especially on vacation. It will probably also be the wifey's car.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Plenty of leg room in the back, it is actually a useable back seat unlike the Mustang which is just for show. I have had 6' tall people sit back there and not complain at all. It is a bit of a chore to get in, but once your in all is good. Not sure how well putting kids in a car seat is on these, I have no children, but I know some people with a GTO that carry their kids around all the time in it.

Trunk... Forget about it. I think I can get two golf bags in and that about fills the thing up. If you are light packers you can do a weekend trip, but not a week long vacation.

I haven't looked at a Legacy GT so can't compare, but GTO>>>>>>>>>> Mustang in every single way possible. Unless you like to go slow and look bad while doing so.

Good luck in your search.

Price for an 04 is roughly 13-15 depending on condition and mods around that mileage
05-06 I would say 16-18+ Prices obviously vary by location, time of year, availability... Check out ls1gto(dot)com in the F/S section to see what the actual values are going for, then use other searches if nothing is local to you to find one close by.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Buy the subaru.

/thread
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mustang=no back seat, i looked at them before purchasing the gto. I have a 4 year old and her car seat and now her booster seat fits great in the gto. For under 25k your best bet for a fun car with room is either a trailblazer ss, gto or g8 gt(some are down to 25k). You might be able to get a higher mileage cts-v for around 25k. There's always the used evo's or sti's, but i really can't get over their looks even though they perform great. Good luck finding one stock. Happy hunting.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

The legacy would fit your needs way better.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check out a first GEn V, if you want the LS2 get an 06/07. You can get an 04/05 for high teens low 20s or an 06/07 mid to high 20s and most 07s still have factory warranty left.

4 doors=car seat friendly
6'4 270(im 6'4" 280 and fit just fine)
only came in a 6 speed
handle and stop awesome
every car came with leather, heated seats, navigation
pretty big trunk

any car with 2 doors i could see being a hassle with 2 car seats but thats just me.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

I have a gto and a g8 gt. The g8 would be more what you are looking for and you can get one for mid to low 20s. The gtos had ls2 05-06 and they have better brakes than a 04.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the input. I hadn't even considered a CTS-V. I'd love a G8, but finding a GXP (remember has to be a manual) that's not priced through the roof and anywhere near me has been nigh impossible so far. As far as the Trailblazer SS, I don't think another SUV is really in the cards, but it's another option I hadn't thought of. I guess a Mustang is a pipe dream for me, and Commissar, you obviously haven't been in a new 5.0.

Anyway, good info here and I really appreciate it. I'll definitely look into a CTS-V. Actually, I already saw one that looks nice and is priced right, but the car fax showed some serious engine work, and then they REPLACED THE ENGINE! Before the thing had 20k miles! Any ideas on why this would have happened? Should I be worried about that?

EDIT: I just saw on that Caddy that the console has been replaced twice and the catalytic converter replaced THREE times. Is that at all normal? I think I should stay clear of it.......

Last edited by msgZ28; 10-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by msgZ28
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input. I hadn't even considered a CTS-V. I'd love a G8, but finding a GXP (remember has to be a manual) that's not priced through the roof and anywhere near me has been nigh impossible so far. As far as the Trailblazer SS, I don't think another SUV is really in the cards, but it's another option I hadn't thought of. I guess a Mustang is a pipe dream for me, and Commissar, you obviously haven't been in a new 5.0.

Anyway, good info here and I really appreciate it. I'll definitely look into a CTS-V. Actually, I already saw one that looks nice and is priced right, but the car fax showed some serious engine work, and then they REPLACED THE ENGINE! Before the thing had 20k miles! Any ideas on why this would have happened? Should I be worried about that?

EDIT: I just saw on that Caddy that the console has been replaced twice and the catalytic converter replaced THREE times. Is that at all normal? I think I should stay clear of it.......
Probably been abused or not maintained. My cars been very reliable and my stock clutch is still holding. Take one for a test drive and see how you like it, i can guarantee youd never think a 3900lb car could handle or stop so well.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Are the new 5.0's going for under $25k? Do they have rear seat room, or are you referring to their new power plant? I was referring to all previous version. I know the new ones are fast, which sucks for the new Camaro! Hopefully GM will put that thing on a diet soon and jump ahead of them.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Teching In

GTO's Dont Have Trunks...We Have Glove Departments In The Back Of The Car.

But the back is very roomy and comfy to...yes i rode in the back seat of my own car.
Carseats Fit good with no tight fits
Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Teching In

I have a 15 month old and i make it work GET THE GTO!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id get a 4dr if i was carrying passengers regularly.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the slow motors in the seats will drive you crazy if you have regular back seat passengers.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

GTO imo is the perfect family cruiser. It's got looks and ***** under the hood a win/win in my book. Go for it!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**** the subaru! GTO or G8 or CTS.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZO7 Josh
**** the subaru! GTO or G8 or CTS.
HELL YEAH!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 10 month old son, and the GTO does not work well for him, he is in a convertible rear facing seat (31" long, 22 #) that stays in the car, and it is not easy to load or unload him into the back of the GTO, in fact, he has only been in the car once.

Once he is older and a front facing seat, it would be easier, but depending on your state laws, some require rear facing for up to 2 years.

I love my GTO and would buy another one, but I would not reccomend one for somebody looking for a car with a baby seat in mind, however the mustang has far less room than the GTO, but not the slow big seats that make it hard to get into the back.

I do not know what kind of camaro you have, but the GTO gets worse fuel economy than a m6 ls1 f-body.

Ryan
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Teching In

I have a 7 year old daughter and my '05 GTO has been a decent family car, but I can't call it great.

Realistically I would say stay away if you need it for a family car.

1. The trunk is quite small.
2. The opening to the backseat is narrow and the front seats move very slowly for access.
3. Year round driving (Snow, ice, sleet here in Indy), not recommended.

Right now we are planning for a second child and sadly I have come to the conclusion the GTO will have to go. My wife currently drives a Lexus LS400 and she wants an MDX Acura.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Roadmaster
My wife currently drives a Lexus LS400 and she wants an MDX Acura.
My wife has an 09 Pilot which is what the MDX is based off of. I hate it, front driver's door creaks, had trouble with the airbag lights and already replaced one axle. I don't do any off road driving either. Lucky for me we leased it so it will be giving it back in a year.

Quick Reply: Can the GTO serve as a family car?