Sponsored by:

New owner: Need help chasing a gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner: Need help chasing a gremlin

hello all,

First and foremost i just want to say that this forum is amazing. Ive been reading as much as possible for the past few weeks and have definitely learned alot about my car. i just recently bought a 2000 z28 m6 from a co worker and Im having a little trouble chasing a gremlin thats popped up over the past 2 days.
First let me give you some history on the car:
It used to be a h/c/i spray car and was recently returned to stock before i bought it. the previous owner installed a new/used shortblock/stock heads/intake/removed longtubes for stock manifolds/etc.
As it sits now the car has a lid and a catback.
well 2 days ago we took it back to our local tuner to have the car retuned back to the stock tune but with some extra stuff taken off. The car has no AIR, EGR, rear o2's, and we had the EVAP system "tuned out" because i was getting an intermittent p0440 code (already changed the gas cap and i dont have the time to drop the tank)
soooo.... i got the car back and it felt way more stout, sounded, better, idled better. only yesterday as i was cruising down the highway i noticed a blinking SES light which stayed for a few minutes and went away. Got back to work and tried to pull the code and there were no codes stored. I hopped on here and found out its for a misfire. i had to leave work again and it did it again cruising down the freeway. came back and tried once again to pull the codes and nada. I checked all my plug wires, made sure the bolts on my i/m were tightened, and just double checked if any wires were loose etc. I noticed it only does it when i "get on it" and goes away less than a minute afterwards.

My question is though... do you think the retune had anything to do with this? it NEVER did it before and Im honestly stumped where i should even start to look.

cliffs:
got car retuned back to stock
now i get an intermittent blinking SES when "gettin' on it"

thanks for any info i might get from you guys. i absolutely LOVE this car... i just want to make sure i give her the love and affection she deserves!