Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking issue on LS2

Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leaking issue on LS2

I didnt know where to post this, because I have a 6 speed 4th gen 2002 Camaro Z28, with a 402 LS2...

part #1
I am consuming and leaking oil. Now the tricky part is, I am not exactly 100% sure where ALL the oil is leaking from.

But I am pretty sure I am leaking SOME of the oil from the valve covers. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets twice already within a 1 year period!.. I cannot seem to keep them fully sealed. I have been using Fel pro valve cover gaskets. It seems to also be leaking more from the rear of the valve covers, but Im not positive on this.

I run 862 heads on my 402, so they are center bolt, stock LS1 valve covers.

So I would like to know what the best way is to avoid this oil leak! Is there any valve cover gaskets that are better, that can help me to avoid an oil leak? Is there excessive pressure inside, is that maybe why Its getting oil through the valve cover gaskets?.. should I get valve cover breathers to help?.. Please I need suggestions, preferrable from people who have had this issue before.

Part #2

Even the valve cover issue being fixed, I am still not convinced this is 100% of the issue... I think I could be leaking from another spot, but dont know where... the reason I am thinking this is because I am seeing oil on the underside of the oil pan, the starter and even as low as the bellhousing..

I dont like this because its getting close to my clutch and flywheel, and although I havent physically seen any on the flywheel, its getting dangerously close and I dont want to get any on my clutch!.. one of the reasons why I think my old clutch prematurely wore out, was because I got oil on the firction disc... so I had to buy a new clutch, because it was slipping.. when I did so, I also replaced the rear main seal... i dont want to get oil on my new clutch and go through another clutch, yet again!...

lastly I would like to mention that I have a catch can on my car as well, and Im not seeing any oil in the catch can. I run 6qts of non synthetic 5w30 oil in my oil pan (which normally calls for 5.5qt)... Stock LS1 oil pan and windage tray on a 4" stroke crank LS2 motor.

So please help.. thanks in advance...
Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Bump.. I really need some input.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

bump, for answers please.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

I refuse to believe this!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I would take a look at the oil pressure sending unit.........
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by L-EATER
I would take a look at the oil pressure sending unit.........

I dont think its from that, But Ill double check

the reason why I doubt its that is, when it was installed, I remember getting that sucker on real tight.. But I will check again.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the quality of GM gaskets, and they arent expensive. Try cleaning up everything the best you can, and see if you can trace the leak.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

Try GM valvecover gaskets, as opposed to Fel pros and see if they leak?

Well its worth a shot...
Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

instead of guessing where the leak is coming from, you need to find out exactly what/where it is leaking. From the sounds of it, it isn't all coming from your valve covers, also why would your valve covers keep leaking? Since you never have oil in your catch can, maybe it is routed wrong, or your pcv is messed up, giving you excess crankcase pressure, which could blow out your valve cover gaskets.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unertl42
instead of guessing where the leak is coming from, you need to find out exactly what/where it is leaking. From the sounds of it, it isn't all coming from your valve covers, also why would your valve covers keep leaking? Since you never have oil in your catch can, maybe it is routed wrong, or your pcv is messed up, giving you excess crankcase pressure, which could blow out your valve cover gaskets.
I cannot find out exactly where its coming from. Every drive cycle Ill see oil in certain areas, which makes it impossible to pinpoint where its exactly comig from...

I will try n post pics of how my catch can is routed.

I wonder if valve covers with breathers would help solve this problem.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Did you also check if you have any hairline cracks on your heads? Diagnose it by spraying carb cleaner on your heads, run it, and spot the dirt accumulated by the oil.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Befwazie
Did you also check if you have any hairline cracks on your heads? Diagnose it by spraying carb cleaner on your heads, run it, and spot the dirt accumulated by the oil.
Will do..

I took a pic of my catch can setup, but I cannot load the pics yet.. Ill tey again ASAP.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry guys, I was out of town...

Here are some pics of how the hoses are routed to the catch can. The areas where you see no hoses means that the valve covers are capped off.
Attached Thumbnails Oil leaking issue on LS2-img_0915.jpg   Oil leaking issue on LS2-img_0917.jpg   Oil leaking issue on LS2-img_0919.jpg   Oil leaking issue on LS2-img_0920.jpg  

Last edited by LSGunZ28; 10-29-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

bump 4 help!

regardless though. I am considering new valve covers or fabbing my stock ones to install breathers on them. as well as a breather oil cap (which I used to have)...

if my catch can IS indeed routed wrong, I shall fix that as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

bumpp
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be the rear main seal, Or i had a really dumb leak, my vally cover was leaking that was odd it would have oil all around the back of the fire wall and down the block. It also turnd out to be my knock sensors rubber lining was fubard. Since your running a ls2 then I would double chck the valley cover aswell as the rear seal. check the dip stick aswell.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

PCV looks routed right to me.

Are you sure there's enough clearance under the rocker covers? I think I've read of people needing additional clearance for some aftermarker rockers. Just a thought. And how about around the crank position sensor?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Did the leak develop after you added the catch can? If not, ignore the rest of this.

My LS2 blew its front main seal after I added non-vented catch cans (dual) to it. They were catching lots and lots of oil however but still posed an additional restriction to the crank case evac. system (427 LS2, track only car). Try blowing through inlet on the cans and see if you can even make air move through it.

Once you build up lots of RPMs, the crank case pressure looks for the next weakest link to get past to vent and the front or rear main seals are one source. At least on my car. Its currently apart to get the front main seal replaced and I'm going to a better setup for crank case evac, without the catch cans.

John
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Maynor
Did the leak develop after you added the catch can? If not, ignore the rest of this.

My LS2 blew its front main seal after I added non-vented catch cans (dual) to it. They were catching lots and lots of oil however but still posed an additional restriction to the crank case evac. system (427 LS2, track only car). Try blowing through inlet on the cans and see if you can even make air move through it.

Once you build up lots of RPMs, the crank case pressure looks for the next weakest link to get past to vent and the front or rear main seals are one source. At least on my car. Its currently apart to get the front main seal replaced and I'm going to a better setup for crank case evac, without the catch cans.

John
Yikes. I just ordered a Mike Norris catch can for my stroker
Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Shouldn't the dirty side (the valley cover) connect to the top of the catch can, and the clean side (the intake manifold) connect to the side of the catch can? See these diagrams...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leaking issue on LS2