Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planetary damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Planetary damage?

Alright.. i searched as much as I could for this but I couldn't find anything so I'm gonna post.

My car is being picked up tomorrow to go to the tranny shop for a rebuild... but I can't help but worry.

I know the 4L60E isn't a great tranny. I've read a lot of posts on here about people having tranny problems and mine seem the same as everyone elses.

How often do the planetaries die along with the tranny? What are signs of planetary problems?

I'm thinking its just clutches/bands and TC but I know my luck and I'm afraid its going to be something worse.. and I can't afford it!

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Launching!

more than likely its the clutches. planetaries hardly ever fail, but it is possible. maybe the are just trying to squeeze ya for the cash.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah my brother is rebuilding it.. for free.. just parts. He just said it was a possibility and my luck ... you know how that **** goes.

I can't afford new planetaries. lol
Old 02-01-2004, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UGOT8
Nah my brother is rebuilding it.. for free.. just parts. He just said it was a possibility and my luck ... you know how that **** goes.

I can't afford new planetaries. lol
Actually, if you can find some place to s*** the cash (maybe your brother can hook you up), I would advise you to go with the 5 pinion planetaries while you've got it apart. Also, replace the reaction shell, sun gear, reaction shaft, and input sprag. Probably even the input drum, depending what you tore up.

I want to say that my input drum, low/reverse planet, and reaction planet were like $500 shipped, brand new GM parts. I ordered them through Dal Slabaugh, so they were near GM wholesale.

I'm not trying to get you to buy parts (I don't sell them, so...), but I rebuilt my tranny, and had the input drum blow out 6 months later.

One rebuild is an ouchy, two really f***ing hurt.