Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 to T56 graft for Miata Qs

Old 10-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 to T56 graft for Miata Qs

Hello LS1Tech people—
I am a complete newb when it comes to LS stuff, but am actively seeking knowledge, and this forum is a wealth of information. I apologize in advance if I'm beating a horse that is previously been put to rest, but in my multiple attempts at searching the forum, I couldn't find the info that I think I need.
My friend Dean Thomas, a forum member and skilled racer with an LS1 Miata, and also another forum member, STANDUP95, referred me here.
I'm building an LSx Miata hybrid. Actually, the folks at Evil Genius Racing are building it for me, but I'm doing the research and procurement.
This is going to be a street car, so maintaining the complete electrical system as well as the emissions is going to be a key part of the transplant.
Now I understand that the Z06 has the engine in front connected to the T56 transmission via torque tube. I have been trying to ascertain the path to connecting a T56 (maybe the one from the 04 Z06, maybe another one) directly to the LS6 motor.
Has anyone done this type of transplant?
Clearly, I will need a bell housing, a clutch assembly, and a flywheel, as well as the tail end of the transmission. The LS6 engine kit I have my eye on includes the motor, exhaust, wiring harness, ECM, intake system, even the gauges. Is there a component of the wiring harness that is specific to the engine/transmission interface?
Is there a rational way to pull this off, or would I be a whole lot better off just buying a donor GTO or WS6 or LS1 Camaro? The LS6 has a lot of appeal to me; it’s more than the LS1 or LS2, and more must be better, right?
I have to keep in mind that the California Air Resource Board have very strick limitations on emissions; that it’s even a legal option to put a late model engine in a much older car is miraculous, so I’m willing to transplant the full emissions and engine management systems.
Thanks very much for your willingness to share in your expertise and experience.
Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I see, you failed to even mention why you would want to go with the tranny at the back like the vette as apposed to a F-body setup.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Actually, I want to bolt the T56 to the engine, it's just that the motor that I'm thinking about is from a Z06. I would like to use the engine, with an F-body style configuration. There is a tried and true Ford 8.8 rear end setup for the Miata.
It would probably be possible to put the transmission in the back on a Miata, with a shortened torque tube, but the surgery would be huge, and, indeed, why? Does that make a little more sense?
thanks--jim
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS1 F-Body T-56 transmission and clutch setup will work and bolt directly to the LS6. The LS6 block shares the same external bolt pattern as the LS1.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Monkeygym
Actually, I want to bolt the T56 to the engine, it's just that the motor that I'm thinking about is from a Z06. I would like to use the engine, with an F-body style configuration. There is a tried and true Ford 8.8 rear end setup for the Miata.
It would probably be possible to put the transmission in the back on a Miata, with a shortened torque tube, but the surgery would be huge, and, indeed, why? Does that make a little more sense?
thanks--jim
Yup, Jim is right. If you can, and want to use a f-body tranny setup, it'll bolt right to the LS6. Personally, I'd go with a LS2. Better motor overall, and with the larger bore, you have ALOT more possibilities later on, like if you wanted to go with LS3/LS7 heads. 5.7 is a no-go with anything other than the cathedral port heads, unless you spend 3k or so on Mast heads, but the LS2 since its 6.0L (due to larger bore) you can go with any head you want.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Hey there--to simplify and make sure everything will be compatible, I just bought a rolled donor 2006 GTO for the LS2 and T56 in the correct format; I'm planning to use the gauges as well as engine, transmission, emissions, etc.; hopefully will keep it from throwing any errors for smog testing.
Thanks for the input--jim
Old 10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are several LSX Miatas on this board. Search Miata in this forum & 99.9% of your LS swap related questions will be answered. The swap is child's play. Especially, since the people doing it now a days are using pre-fabbed kits.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction now for sure. Make sure the engine wasn't starved of oil in the roll before you put it in and find out it needed bearings because of something like that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS6 to T56 graft for Miata Qs