Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a thought...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought...

I'm compiling the parts to do a carbed 6.0 swap in my 91 notch. Even though I'm going to be running a carburetor I got to thinking....

On an LS engine, If using the distributor front cover and distributor while still keeping some form of EFI intake like a victor jr (since obviously the stock intake and throttle body wont clear the distributor), couldn't it be possible to run the mustang stock A9L/A9P ECU if using an EFI distributor and like a 90mm mustang throttle body. I don't believe the injector clips are the same so those could be changed or just use a Ford style injector, But it seems to me that it could be possible. Not saying that the Ford ECU is superior to the GM ECU but like I said, its just a thought... so.. COULDN'T it work?

If you think about it, it would make possible to use most of the factory gauges and sensors (minus EGR, which most delete anyway)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Launching!

I don't know much about tuning Ford ECU's. I imagine you could get it to work with enough imagination and howto. However why? When there's plenty of solutions out there to make LS ECU's and wiring harnesses work. Seems like going the route you're suggesting is going to involve lots of un-needed work..

Tails
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

anything is possible, however, the Ford EEC IV is slow and tuning is alot of trial and error. I am putting a LQ4 in my 93 notch, I am going EFI with the GM stuff. All of the factory gauges will work, you need to add the Ford oil & water sensors to the Chevy engine, and you need a 4 cylinder tach. Get a good schematic on you Ford and on the Chevy engine to figure out which wires to connect. The stock speedo will work also, http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm, the Abbott piece is $350.00

Plus the cost of the front cover conversion vs EFI its almost a wash, going the EFI route you can buy pieces here and there to complete your list, instead of buying one expensive item.

I have schematics on the Ford Mustang and on the Chevy engine. LMK

zipster
Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Like i said, it was just a thought. Just an idea to do something different. Even If I were to run EFI I would run the GM ECU and harness, but the Ford ECU idea just popped in my head and I wanted to share it.

Instead of using the stock gauges or even a 4 cylinder cluster I'm going to use the Florida 5.0 gauge cluster with autometer gauges. originally I was going to use the 4 cylinder gauges but I plan to spin the engine over 6k, which I believe the stock gauge only reads 6k.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Teching In

You could run the 2002 processor with it and use a Moates Quarter-horse and Clint Garrity's Binary Editor to edit every parameter all the way down to changing the injector firing order... There are more than a few Companies out there that are offering the EFI conversion for older Muscle/Rods that are using the Ford Processors. One that comes to mind is a twin turbo 67 corvette using the Ford EEC... Just an idea and fairly inexpensive...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

That's another thing that made me think to use the ford EEC because the injector firing order of the 5.0ho and LS engine are the same. on paper may be different but if you number the LS engine like you would a SBF the firing order is the same.