Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking (continued), tore it apart, this is what i found, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking (continued), tore it apart, this is what i found, what do you think?

hello all,

I recently posted a post about my engine ticking, was a little bit different so I broke it down:

Can this cams burrs on the lobe cause the ticking?

Lifters looked warn, but ok
Pushrods are in great shape
Springs still good, No broken retainers
Cam bearings looked warn but still functional
No shavings in oil or oil filter that I could find
Valves all look decent

This is the only thing I could find.. think this could cause the ticking?

PS: sorry about the quality of the pictures, my camera's suck at close shots apperently..

Here is a link to the old thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post13968845

Here is the Ticking video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMeynXgPCoQ

What I am replacing so far (for good measure, this engine needs it):
Springs, pushrods, lifters, cam , head gasket and all other gaskets and seals associated with this job, seems to have an ls6 oil pump from previous owner

Thanks,

Ian

Last edited by fueltruck; 10-21-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cam had worse wear on it than that when I pulled it and was completely silent. Maybe a bad lifter.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
My cam had worse wear on it than that when I pulled it and was completely silent. Maybe a bad lifter.
hmm, did it have a "defined lip"? this is basically a square indent about 1/2 a mm deep.. seems like it could cause a noise.. All my lifters seemed to be in good working order, I am replacing them regardless. Though.. I dont know whats considered a "bad" lifter.. no major/obvious damage basically..
Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

How many miles are on this engine? and what mods have been done if any to the engine?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
How many miles are on this engine? and what mods have been done if any to the engine?
120K miles. Headers, exhaust, custom intake, clutch, flywheel, dual valve springs, retainers. Thats about it, thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was U shaped, it has metal built up all around the edges and a deep groove in the middle. The lifters were worn to match.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

How do the rollers on the lifters look and what oil was being used and how often was it changed. It looks like a oil issue to me, the top of the lobes take the most punishent.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel you man. Like I stated before at your first thread, my cam looked like yours and I had the same sound, ticking noise. First I thought my lifters went bad but they were all fine and tore it down some more and saw one of the lobes looked like that.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You stated as low as 20 PSI oil pressure in your other thread. That doesn't sound right. Both my original 5.3 and new 6.0 both run 50+ at idle hot. Someone else mentioned your bearings as well in the other thread.

Is the engine out of the car? I'd be replacing some bearings, probably reringing it while I'm in there. New LS7 lifter while you're in there would be a good idea. I'd consider a new oil pump as well.

If those are grooves wearing in your cam, you really have no option but to replace the lifters. They'd eat up a new cam just as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

and where did all the metal from the cam lobe go .....thru the whole oiling system ...I have 2 ls1 that I just pulled apart and both had wiped lobes on the cam and both also had wiped cam bearings and I dont know if this has anything to do with anything but both engines had scratches on the pistons and walls that went with the bad cam lobes so all the metal was going some where
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Banned

Yeah i suspect my high mileage 135k ta had bad lobes. It was slowly losing power over time. I traded it in before it got too bad. The magnet always had very fine metal filings on it everytime i changed the oil.

My 02 has the same trouble, fine metal on the magnet at every oil change and it sounds EXACTLY like this one in your video. Its also a little low on power, I havn't taken the time to measure the cam lift at the valves but its a quick way to confirm if the cam is wearing.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Hey all, Thanks for the replies, I will try to answer all the questions real fast:
How do the rollers on the lifters look and what oil was being used and how often was it changed. It looks like a oil issue to me, the top of the lobes take the most punishent.
Rollers seemed alright, this issue maybe lasted 2-3 days before I took the engine apart and I babied it so probly didnt give it a chance to scar them up. Oil was 10W-30 mobil 1, I had an oil change 1 week before this started. I change it religeously to prevent issues in my high milage engine.. sigh..

I feel you man. Like I stated before at your first thread, my cam looked like yours and I had the same sound, ticking noise. First I thought my lifters went bad but they were all fine and tore it down some more and saw one of the lobes looked like that.
Heh, seems what im going through to a T, I was gonna swap the cam anyways since I had to get to the lifters.. sooo my parts came in today to include the new cam, hope that was the only issue.. Did replacing the cam fix the tick in your case?

You stated as low as 20 PSI oil pressure in your other thread. That doesn't sound right. Both my original 5.3 and new 6.0 both run 50+ at idle hot. Someone else mentioned your bearings as well in the other thread.
yes, I checked the bearings, they seem a bit worn but not to an extent that I need to swap them. Also no flakes or metal in the oil which leads me to believe thats not the dominent issue atm.

Is the engine out of the car? I'd be replacing some bearings, probably reringing it while I'm in there. New LS7 lifter while you're in there would be a good idea. I'd consider a new oil pump as well.
I dont have the engine out, just torn down in the engine bay.. to the lifters and cam. Just got the LS7 lifters today, oil pump looks new (from previous owner) but think I should pop it off and check the o-ring?

and where did all the metal from the cam lobe go .....thru the whole oiling system ...I have 2 ls1 that I just pulled apart and both had wiped lobes on the cam and both also had wiped cam bearings and I dont know if this has anything to do with anything but both engines had scratches on the pistons and walls that went with the bad cam lobes so all the metal was going some where
Wondering the same.. saw nothing in oil system and piston walls look great actually, cleaning everything I have access to out while the engine is torn down, hope thats the extent of the lobe metal floating around...

Yeah i suspect my high mileage 135k ta had bad lobes. It was slowly losing power over time. I traded it in before it got too bad. The magnet always had very fine metal filings on it everytime i changed the oil.

My 02 has the same trouble, fine metal on the magnet at every oil change and it sounds EXACTLY like this one in your video. Its also a little low on power, I havn't taken the time to measure the cam lift at the valves but its a quick way to confirm if the cam is wearing.
Interesting, didnt think about measuring that to determine cam ware.. guess I took the long road since this started I never went WOT so I dont know if it had power loss, but there was nothing leading up to it for sure. But I dont have any flakes in my oil, checked and double checked my oil and filter... which confuses me be being there should be part of my cam in there..

Thanks all, keep em comming, more heads are better then one
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys ever consider having an oil analysis done before tearing into an engine? A good analysis can tell you what is wearing and how bad the damage it and weather it's bearings, pistons, cam, etc. To me it's more scientific than looking for flakes of metal in your oil.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trik396
You guys ever consider having an oil analysis done before tearing into an engine? A good analysis can tell you what is wearing and how bad the damage it and weather it's bearings, pistons, cam, etc. To me it's more scientific than looking for flakes of metal in your oil.
ha ha, you smrt.. yea, probably a good idea, but this car is new to me and needed to see whats working, whats new and what needs replacing so I didnt feel like its a waste of time regardless of what I found, not to mention it gave me an excuse to put a new cam in without my wife yelling TOO loud. But ill keep that in mind next time (and it will) this happens..
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I understand and didn't mean to come off like a jerk... if I did... sorry.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

any update on your problem?

Quick Reply: Ticking (continued), tore it apart, this is what i found, what do you think?