Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Performance Upgrades for 2000 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Upgrades for 2000 WS6

Hey guys just bought a 2000 WS6 A4. It is stock except for a Borla Exhaust and K&N Air Filter. From your guys experiences what are the top three performance upgrades I can do from there? I appreciate your input..
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to be way more specific. What do you expect out of the car? Do you want a 1000RWHP turbo setup? Is it a daily driver? Just a fun toy? Do you just want to have better acceleration? Handling? Ride? Traction?

IMO the "best" 3 mods for an Fbody would be:
#1) Koni sport shocks - night and day difference in handling, control, balance, feel, and ride quality. Think BMW 3 or 5 series, firm but not jarring and always connected to the road like glue. No more snap-oversteer, jittery jerking over uneven pavement and bumps, and the car becomes very neutral in turns. No more floating and bouncing at higher speeds and that feeling of disconnectedness. This is such a great mod because the factory shocks are so down right horrible even when new, easily the weakest link suspension wise.
#2) Better brake pads and rotors - another weak link with our cars, the factory rotors like to warp pretty easily, and the pads are pretty mediocre. Go with some NON-DRILLED (they do nothing for performance and only weaken the rotor to the point of cracking) quality slotted or blank rotors and hawk pads.
#3) Tires - the factory goodyears are ok but you can do much better for much cheaper (like Nitto NT05s), much stickier tire with slightly stiffer sidewall.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Lid
Cutouts
Dynotune
Old 10-23-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intake.
Exhaust (Including Headers).
Tune.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I wasnt more specific..The car is a daily driver.. Id like to keep it looking as stock as possible..but dont want mods such as turbo or nitrous.. so far just threw the Borla and K&N Filter on there... Thought about getting the PCM tuned or maybe even pulleys? I just want to know what you guys have had the most success with keeping it a daily driver without putting a huge gear in it and nitrous in it.. again thanks for all your input..
Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Headers are a great bang for buck. Get the PCM tuned after you do everything else.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
#2) Better brake pads and rotors - another weak link with our cars, the factory rotors like to warp pretty easily, and the pads are pretty mediocre. Go with some NON-DRILLED (they do nothing for performance and only weaken the rotor to the point of cracking) quality slotted or blank rotors and hawk pads.
there's nothing wrong with drilled rotors.. I use the **** out of my brakes and my slotted drilled rotors hold up just fine.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
#3) Tires - the factory goodyears are ok but you can do much better for much cheaper (like Nitto NT05s), much stickier tire with slightly stiffer sidewall.
it's a 2000, I HIGHLY doubt it still has the stock tires on it. But, I agree tires are a good upgrade.

I don't think any of the listed are TOP 3 upgrades except for the exhaust and tune.

A cam will give you the most power gain. Get a good cam (and necessary valvetrain) and you can't go wrong. Also, throw a stall in there and you'll be happy.

so as far as the TOP upgrades go; Cam, Stall, Headers, Tune. I know that's more than three but those will def get you a faster car.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
there's nothing wrong with drilled rotors.. I use the **** out of my brakes and my slotted drilled rotors hold up just fine.
This topic has been covered countless times, drilled rotors do nothing for performance and only weaken the rotor. Modern day pads don't have any gasses for the holes to expel and cool the rotor.
You may not get cracks on them with street driving or drag racing since thats not very hard on the brakes (before you argue, after a drag pass you do what, about 10-20 seconds on braking? Then the rotors have plenty of time to cool as you loop around to stage again. All the big name companies advise NOT to use their drilled rotors on track cars, and suggest blank or slotted for that use.)

it's a 2000, I HIGHLY doubt it still has the stock tires on it. But, I agree tires are a good upgrade.
You know what I mean, some good year 300 treadwear replacement tire, not the exact tire it came with from the factory.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Teching In

pacesetter longtube headers are great and cheap! i have them on my 02 ws6. also superconductor wires from MSD are a great cheap add on. tb bypass (throttle body bypass) is a free mod that you do yourself in 5 min. all you do is unplug one hose and move another sorry i dont have pics but if you google it you can find some. remove the mass airflow screen is free and done in 5 min BUT BE SURE NOT TO HIT THE 2 VERTICLE STEMS AT ALL!!!! once again sorry no pics but google is our friend! good luck
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Teching In

if u decide to put a cam, long tube headers, and a good valvetrain. might as well put an ls6 intake manifold, 85mm throttle body, 373 gears, BeCool 3core radiator, 180degree thermostat, new harmonic balancer, would be nice. thats what i have in my 98 Formula m6. and its my daily driver and i get anywhere between 24-27mph highway. just as good as any crossover vehicles that are right off the lot.

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades for 2000 WS6