Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street / Strip Power advice (non LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street / Strip Power advice (non LS1)

So A long long time ago I asked for advice on how to build up a carbed sbc to 450 HP / 450 TQ. I got what I wanted but now I've brought myself to realize that anything over like 400HP will start to bog at stop lights and be pretty unstreetable. So my whole bottom end is forged with a 5140 crank, 4340 rods, and I'll get the pistons after I actually have the heads in my hands. So in a few months once I get all done I have a couple questions.

This engine is gonna be going in a hoss of a car ('80 Delta 88) so I'm looking for lots of torque...about 380-400 HP and 450 TQ now in a 383. Now my first question is this: My dad supports like everything I'm doing to build this and stuff because he built a ton of cars back in the '60s/'70s. But he said I should break in the engine by driving around Houston on the 610 loop and going down to Galveston a couple times. He told me instead of waiting to get the 12 bolt and driveshaft first I should just drop in the 383/TH400 and break it in with the stock axle/driveshaft. So if I took it really easy on the thing do you think I could make it 500 miles without snapping the driveshaft/axle?

Second question: Once I get used to the power and the car since the whole thing is setup to hold about 700HP would it be a good idea to setup a big shot of nitrous? If so I'd appriciate some general info on how a 200 or so shot will work out on the forged engine, cast iron vortec heads on a regular flow block, and a 770 cfm carb.

I'm gonna talk to comp cams about the valve springs / all the cam goodies sometime next week.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:13 AM
wrencher

It will be fine if you dont hop on it w/the stock stuff.
Alot of nitrous for iron hotter heads & a 770 what? carb IMO, maybe a different fuel system in order for that kinda shot.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Different fuel system like 2 four barrels or like TPI? I want to stay away from the costs and complications of fuel injection.

A 200 shot on cast iron heads shouldn't be that bad should it? It takes longer to heat up and it isn't like I'm gonna be constantly using it.