Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator leaking through fins! WTFFF

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator leaking through fins! WTFFF

So as soon as i hit about 180* my radiator starts leaking through what apears t be the fins. WTF I got its an aluminum prc radiator. I got it for a steal from a shop that ordered for a customer that never picked it up, but no warrenty/returns. What should i do?? I want to avoid the leak stopper crap, but i might just run it through the radiator itself and not the motor. What do you guys think i should do./
Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the leak stopper stuff needs to get hot thats where the engine comes in.

is it in just one area?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes, Steals are just that.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the rad is new and leaking than get it fixed.

As for leak stopper, GM ships them in WP passage of new crate motor. I was suprised when I pulled the WP and found a pill of leak stop.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

probably just a cracked tube. take it to a radiator shop and they should be a able to patch a pin hole or pinch the tube off if its a crack.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since you got it for a steal, you can afford to spend a few $$ to get it fixed at a reputable radiator shop.

Mike
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I'm looking for a good shop now, it doesn't leak untill i hit around 180-190* So im holding off since the car isn't driveable yet and im still working on a bunch of stuff. I'll probably hold off till winter since i can't drive it then anyways.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Launching!

it doesnt leak till then cause thats when the thermostat opens
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
I got it for a steal from a shop that ordered for a customer that never picked it up, but no warrenty/returns.
I think there is more to this story that you were told..
Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
I think there is more to this story that you were told..
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Me too, im going to see if i can get a replacement from the manufacturer, if its a known issue with hem they might fix it. otherwise im going to email the seller, which is what i hought a decent hot rod shop. If they dont do anything then ill fix it on my own, but will flood the net with how shaddy they are. Maybe save someone who googles hem some money, time and grief.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The manufacture responded to my email asap, they are tracking down the PO now, hopefully this will work out!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
im going to see if i can get a replacement from the manufacturer, if its a known issue with hem they might fix it.
I doubt if it's a 'known issue' with PRC. They custom build their radiators per your specs and they are very high quality, I've got one of their all aluminum radiators in my '32 street rod along with their a/c condenser and fan shroud with a Spal fan.

Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh i forgot to mention its not a prc, the seller listed prc in the end of the title as a keyword. Its by oze hot rods in canada.

They responded today that the model i currently have is about 5 years old, great that means they can't do anything for me. Next issue is to see what the seller has to say, if they respond at all, otherwise im putting in a paypal claim.

The shop i got the radiator from was Kenny's rods and Kustoms in Boise ID. I hope they can resolve this issue. I didn't want to list who they were at first incase they solve the problem and this thread came off as negative feedback for them, but if they fix this this thread can serve as a review for their customer service.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Warranty?

What part of no warranty and no returns in the ad did you not understand? When you go the cheap route it usually comes back to bite you in the ***. when you go cheap it usually costs you more in the long run as you are finding out by having to pull the radiator and probably ship it back and fight with paypal and ebay trying to get your money back, step up to the plate and take responsibility for your actions and pay for the good stuff and usually and I say usually with caution you get what you pay for.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizeec
What part of no warranty and no returns in the ad did you not understand? When you go the cheap route it usually comes back to bite you in the ***. when you go cheap it usually costs you more in the long run as you are finding out by having to pull the radiator and probably ship it back and fight with paypal and ebay trying to get your money back, step up to the plate and take responsibility for your actions and pay for the good stuff and usually and I say usually with caution you get what you pay for.

This is the first time in 8 years that i've had an issue like this. I did my research before buying, i checked out the sellers reviews, 2559 sales, 99.7 positive, so 8 non-positive reviews out of 2500+. I checked their website, they seem to be a great company.

Sure you can go the expensive route, but then there goes any sort of a budget, unless of course to you got tons of spare cash around. I'm one year out of college w/ loans, there is no way i could afford to build my hot rod w/o finding great deals. I calculate out what this would have cost me if i paid full price for everything and i would be up around 30k just at this point, and another 5-7 to finish. Im only into the project 9-10k at most, and going this route it will cost me another 2-3k to fully finish.

I got a response back, with a number to call and speak with them directly. Im hopeful we can work something out.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lizeec
I'm sorry I think you are being a little irrational. If the radiator has a freakin hole in it then they shouldn't be selling it as being good. That has noting to do with all sales final no returns. If you don't say in your listing that it could have a hole in it then it shouldn't have a hole in it. Their hole point was selling it under the pretense that people can;t be returning it because "it didn't fit" having a hole is a whole other issue
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Warranty?

Ok point taken it is just after completing my swap and paying through the nose for some crappy BRP parts and quite a few other name brand swap parts that are suppose to be a bolt on kit, which usually wasnt the case as I usually had to get out the hammer, grinder and welder to make some "supposed quality parts" fit that didnt fit, and yes I bought some bargain "too good to be true" items at some great prices that were even worse in quality fit and finish, so I tend to shy away from the "too good to be true" deals and the items that are a "steal" beacuse they usually end up being just that. On that radiator the hassles of boxing up a radiator properly and then taking it to the UPS Store or FedEx just makes a great deal not so great anymore, I understand you are fresh out of college and hopefully have a decent job where you are making some decent money is where what is your time worth and your peace of mind worth? Can you hop in that car and drive it 1500 miles and not worry about a bargain part leaving you stranded on the side of the road because you wanted to save a $100.00-$200.00 dollars? I know what I make for a salary and my hourly wage breaks down to about $28.00 an hour and I dont want to be stranded on the side of the road wasting my time and then worrying about if the tow truck is going to screw up my car worse. But each to his own and I can respect your method as well as I was probably in that same boat when I was younger, good luck with your swap.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it i found out that the OZE rods radiators are made by PRC. I had one of the guys at OZE give me a quote on a new radiator, and it was only $975. Yea im serious, i figured around 500 but wow. Considering i paid $230 shipped i don't mind the hassle at this point.

Brian over at Kenny's rods and customs called his sales rep over at PRC since i believe he bought in very large quantity. He seemed like a very honest person and once i explained the situation he made the call and got back to me in a few hours. I was told the rep is out of the office and on his way to the Good Guys show in NC. It starts the 29th so it seems truthful. I will get more info in a few days.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Launching!

I'll bet the radiator quote you got from the OZE guys included their high $$$ mark-up, those guys don't sell anything cheap. The radiator that PRC custom built for the LS1 in my '32 Ford didn't cost that much and mine included the a/c condenser, Spal fan with shroud and a few add-on options. It appears you've gone thru 2 different 'middlemen', OZE and Kenny's Rod & Kustom (the Kenny's R&K that I know is in Newton Falls, Ohio not Boise,ID), considering you paid $230 including shipping, you didn't pay anywhere near full retail, at that price I can understand why it was sold as "all sales final no returns", yet you seem to expect to get a premium quality piece for a bargain basement price. Haven't you heard the saying, 'you get what you pay for'? If the radiator is indeed a PRC product and I were in your shoes, I would call PRC myself (812 897-5805), talk to Zack or Shaun, see what they can do to help you, they were a huge help to me when I spec'ed out and ordered my radiator. JMO

Mike

Quick Reply: Radiator leaking through fins! WTFFF