Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you think your A4 will last

Old 02-01-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you think your A4 will last

This is what i have found out threw the years from many tranny builders i have delt with. First off you need a build that is very up front and lets you know all that is going in the units and gives you some choices on the units. "Warrenty" a good shop will put a 1 year 12k mile warrenty on the unit. Another thing is are all the parts ending up in your car that they say they are putting in. Id have to say that that is the biggest crookery that goes on in the trans business is people dont get what they pay for. The new builder that i have been using for 2 years now tells me and all his customers that he will put is race car up that every part listed is installed. I have stood there while he has built my unit and other customers units and every part makes it in there. Ok now the hp value on a trans it realy does not mean much its for perfect conditions. Perfect hook and go keeps the trans together. Now things that break trannys wheel hop, tire shake, power breaking to long, back to back pass or hot lapping "bad for clutches and bands ", low or dirty fluid will kill a trans ,and a inproper build without the proper parts can lead to a short life. Big words like "kevlar" stay away they chew up drums and eat up plates and fail quicker then other products out there. Currently the Alto band is the strongest and most surface area on the market today. Also we use a mixture of plates in the different clutch packs some work better then others in different areas of the tranny because rabestos reds, blues and borg-warner plats all have a special place in our trannys. The billet servo not need in all applications its a little harsh on the street we upgrade all f car trannys to the corvette servo atleast if they want a more tame feel on the street . Bushings a good build will replace all bushings alot of builders dont they cut corners not the best thing to do cause clearence causes deflection and deflection normaly cause hardpart damage in the tranny"baskets and shafts ". In conclusion look for this in the best tranny.

1: parts list that is going in trans

2: warrenty on the trans

3: look for a build that will give u some options in your unit everyone does not need a race built unit.

4:look for a build that will give u a price on a freshening aunit its normaly500-600 they will go threw the unit and replace any warn clutchs or bands and add any updates that u want at that time a race unit on a 450+hp unit can use one every season just so there is not a failure during the race season .

5:look that the build is a member of the a.t.r.a. "automatic transmission rebuilders association

if you have any questions feel free to ask i have been around the block with this a couple times
Old 02-01-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

great advice.ive been thru this too.its costly.

are there different stages in HD rebuilds or is that just a term people use?whats a fair price for say a trans that sees occasional track use but mostly used as a daily driver?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1595 is a good hd street build we offer 2 level the street and race our race is 1950

george
Old 02-01-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

i wish you were closer id have you put my stall in.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your not far i bought my truck from beuler dodge in eatontown
Old 02-01-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

ill PM you.hold on.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:36 AM
Teching In

Well you asked, so, so far, it's lasted 150,000 miles....haha.

Search this Thread