LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Extended Warranty is it Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Extended Warranty is it Worth it?

So I am at 49,548 miles.

I have a Major Guard GMPP Warranty right now, and I am thinking about extending it.

For 3/36,000 it is just over 1500 dollars, Do you guys think it is worth it?

This would cover my car until I hit just over 85,000 miles...

What kind of problems have owners with +60,000 miles run into?

Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's worth it if you don't plan on modding and blow the tranny or a lifter dies and causes a lot of damage.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well, right now I'm facing a $2,000 bill, cuz my extended warranty ran out at 75k miles... and I'm at 98,xxx miles now...

I need both new front axle assemblies... both new front wheel hub/bearing assemblies... and this AM when pulling outta my garage, I noticed what looks to be some tranny fluid on the floor......

so yeah, I'd get it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow Lew that sucks...My trans was leaking a bit last month, took two visits to the dealer for two new hoses. Both the return and delivery lines were leaking around the fittings.

I think it is worth it, if not for the parts definitely for the labor, and you get a loaner/free rides if it takes a while.

My car is mechanically stock, it is my DD so all I have done are HIDs and the motor mount flip.

Thanks guys....good luck Lew
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

you would essentially be betting half the cost of a built tranny that a tranny or engine would blow. I very much doubt the failure rate of either is going to be 50% in 36: miles. Skip it. Plus they would be looking to deny any claim that they can. So you are betting you have a failure and that it would be covered.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Personally, I would get it. The rate of losing these trannys are pretty high. I bought my car with 90k, so obviously no warranty, but, it had a remanufactured trans in it, so I lucked out with getting a somewhat new trans, and it should last me quite a while, until I start running it harder obviously. Get the warranty, its almost a guarantee your trans will go, and if it doesn't, your not driving hard enough.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Teching In

what is deductible if something were to go? That's something to look into as well.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

depends on the plan you get... you can get 'em with a $0 deductible (what I had), and it wouldn't cost you anything...

the higher the deductible you get, the cost of the plan will go a little lower...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A few observations:

Since you have a 2007, you already have a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty with zero deductible. The start date would be the original date of purchase on the vehicle, so you most likely still have anywhere from 1, 2, or maybe even close to 3 years remaining on the powertrain. This obviously covers the motor and tranny, as well as Lew's axles and hub assemblies.

Now, for $1500, you're extending the warranty on everything else (A/C, power accessories, etc.) but are also paying for overlap with the powertrain warranty.

Based on when your 5 years or 100k miles are up, you need to decide if the $1500 is worth the extra coverage.

My opinion is that the powertrain warranty is most important on an LS4 car. Even though our cars do have more than their fair share of nagging issues (clicking ventilation systems, noisy power window regulators, and other stuff), the transmission is the biggest common failure area. I've been through two myself, both replaced under the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

Recently GM, started writing all of it's new extended warranties to max at 100k miles. Depending on your driving habits, you may be able to find a plan that works for you. You just need to analyze your current situations in regards to the existing powertrain warranty.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

1 word Absolutely!!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

I have had every one of these problems that have been mentioned with my car; bad tranny, clicking ventilation system, wheel bearing, broken harmonic balancer, radiator problems, and several small issues other things. The one thing that I would look at when purchasing the after market warranty, is the fine print that the warranty does not cover. I had an issue 30 days after purchasing my car with the extended warranty and the dealer would not cover the costs and the warranty company would not either. So again, make sure that you get the warranty that would suite your needs. I would say that the warranty has paid itself for me, it is just that every time I had problems, I have had to fight to have it fixed properly.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
A few observations:

Since you have a 2007, you already have a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty with zero deductible. The start date would be the original date of purchase on the vehicle, so you most likely still have anywhere from 1, 2, or maybe even close to 3 years remaining on the powertrain. This obviously covers the motor and tranny, as well as Lew's axles and hub assemblies.
WOOHOO!! SUUUH-WEEET!! Bryan's gonna cover my repair work!! Thanks Bryan, you ROCK man!!!!!

WHEW!! that was close... I was tryin to figure out how I was gonna have to pay for all that work, seeing as how I have $0....

but Bryan saves the day - NOICE!!

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-26-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I will end up going with another warranty...I might not use it but it is nice to know it is there.

The 3/36000 plan that I qualify for has $50 deductible and covers things that others have mentioned...alt, starter, HVAC, wheel bearings etc.

It doesn't cover shocks though...even though it says in the paper work that it covers suspension parts...

I have notoriously bad luck so I am sure I will have some more issues sooner than later...thanks for the advice guys!!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well, just got my car back... shop had it all day....

the leak I saw, was power steering fluid... so, that power steering recall fix took care of that, and no charge...

then...

replaced both front wheel hub/bearing assemblies... replaced both front axle assemblies... intermediate steering shaft was shot too, so that got replaced as well... mobil 1 oil change... total for parts & labor - $1,824...

wish I still had warranty coverage... heh...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-27-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
well, just got my car back... shop had it all day....

the leak I saw, was power steering fluid... so, that power steering recall fix took care of that, and no charge...

then...

replaced both front wheel hub/bearing assemblies... replaced both front axle assemblies... intermediate steering shaft was shot too, so that got replaced as well... mobil 1 oil change... total for parts & labor - $1,824...

wish I still had warranty coverage... heh...
OUCH...Everybody who hasn't ordered a DiabLew Tune yet should do so now! Gotta make sure Lew's car stays on the road!

But I'll be right there with ya in about 3 weeks! Glad I got my tranny before the warranty was up.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

hahah... yeah, luckily, I've been doin business there for about 10 years, know everyone and they all know me and how I am about my car... so they let me do a payment plan... hehe... cuz I told 'em I'm broke as hell... so, $200 a month is what I gotta cover...

so, order up people!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How does it drive now Lew? Can you tell a difference?

That is a cool dealership to allow you to make payments, did you buy your Monte there?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
How does it drive now Lew? Can you tell a difference?

That is a cool dealership to allow you to make payments, did you buy your Monte there?
yeah, have been getting mine and my wife's cars there for the past 10 years... and have them do all the service work... so, they take care of us well

can DEFINITELY tell a difference... nothing is loose anymore, steering is crisp... whole front end feels solid again... nice and TIGHT....

Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Labor on the Blend door actuator click: $673
Shift-Lock disengage: $55

Aftermarket Warranty: $50 out the door.