Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSXtreme headers and y-pipe installed, finally.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSXtreme headers and y-pipe installed, finally.

OK, so after sitting on my headers and y-pipe waiting for the band clamps I paid for that never came I decided to just buy more and install the things. The installation was all in all easier than the install on my LT1 car. The most frustrating part was finding out I didn't grind the k-member enough to clear the headers under engine load, a fact I didn't learn until the test drive. Once I tore it back down, ground more, painted the k-member, put it all back together and cut some clamp bolts it was done. This effort took 3 nights after work with liberally applied time for bullshitting with my friends.

Here is a sound clip and a pic of the terrible ground clearance you get with a non-dented 3" y-pipe on a lowered car. This was through a MagnaFlow 3" cat back:

Totally worth the effort and money, they were all nice pieces. That being said it was still not fun having to go to war to get them all shipped, not counting the clamps I will never see. You win again Justin Sommers.....well played.

Last edited by slow96z; 10-25-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow...glad i went with pacesetter LT's/ORY..and i got better ground clearance than stock...oh and no grinding...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since it is a multi-piece y-pipe I can probably maneuver the pieces around and get a little more clearance, just didn't want to mess with it anymore yesterday after having to redo the drivers side from scratch. I'll get it up on a lift and work at it some more. Also, the angle of the camera makes it look worse than it is. I have scraped it already, but that was due to my driving style, which will be adjusted.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

not too bad. i myself have the same headers and went through all the BS with him, i fell your pain man. unfortunatly i didnt know i needed 'his' y=pipe till after i ordered the headers and talked to him on the phone. i was about to get his true dual kit but he folded behore i could (thank god i didnt get them)

got any sound clips?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

click on the first pic, it's a link to the video with sound
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that crook was supposed to make great stuff, the little that actually got shipped out? Probably no better than the other **** on e-bay. My LPPs slid right in, no grinding. I bet my x-pipe would have more ground clearance too if I was lowered as much as you. I'm not trying to bash your system, just bashing the con-artist.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

sounds good! i like it. congrats man. and good luck with dealing with justin if you still are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LSXtreme headers and y-pipe installed, finally.