Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default open headers

Is it possible to run open headers if u have just the front o2 sensors and rear o2 simmulators? I'm pretty sure you can't but i just want someone to explain why not. thanx.
-Brent
Old 02-01-2004, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you shouldnt for any extended periods of time...has to do with backpressure not sure exactly why...besides im sure youd get pulled over very quickly as its not very quite think JR dragster lol
Old 02-01-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have to have some piping or extension after the collectors to prevent outside air from going back up the collector and coming in contact with the front o2 sensors. if this happens the pcm will think the car is running lean and will dump alot of excess fuel in

i run my dual cutouts open all the time, track and street. the opening are 20" away from the o2 sensors
Old 02-01-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by foff667
you shouldnt for any extended periods of time...has to do with backpressure not sure exactly why...besides im sure youd get pulled over very quickly as its not very quite think JR dragster lol
I knew that could happen very easily seeing as most of my friends get pulled over with their headers and OR piping. I just wanted to know if it was possible.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
you have to have some piping or extension after the collectors to prevent outside air from going back up the collector and coming in contact with the front o2 sensors. if this happens the pcm will think the car is running lean and will dump alot of excess fuel in

i run my dual cutouts open all the time, track and street. the opening are 20" away from the o2 sensors
Thanx alot. This answer is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I'm not buying all of this extension stuff. It really depends on how long your collectors are. MANY cars run open headers at the track all the time with no problems.