Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi everyone, newbie question here

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Hi everyone, newbie question here

Hey everyone, any help would be appreciated.

After I got home from a short trip today , I could hear a bubbling or gurgling sound coming from the engine after I shut it off. I looked under the hood and the sound was coming from the radiator and surrounding area. I also smelled antifreeze. The radiator cap was on tight and the sound went away after 5 mins or so. I had the antifreeze changed less than 3,000 miles ago in December and they used the brown stuff. The car didn't seem to be overheating, temp gague was normal and it was only a 15 min trip.

Is this normal? Do I have anything to worry about? Is my antifrezze cooking? How would I know? It doesn't seem to make this bubbling sound after each trip, this was only the second time it's done this. Thanks for any input!

Bob
Old 02-01-2004, 03:44 PM
wrencher

Something is not right, maybe a bad thermostat?
Is it low on coolant?
Check it once it cools off & ensure it is full.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll check the level when it cools off and have the Thermostat looked at. I didn't think this was normal. I hope it's one of those 2.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

That's weird, that you weren't over heating. I had the same problem with my vette, if I left the car running, it would overheat and the coolant was bubbling up because it was so hot. My problem was one of the fans got stuck, killed the motor and a fuseable link. Now I have a custom chip in(I know you guys can't use them anymore) and the car never gets past race temp, 180*. Good luck, hope you solve the problem soon.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the radiator cap is bleeding off pressure. And that would cause your coolant to boil even if it was full.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

I checked the fluid and it was full, almost too full, right up to the top of the radiator. If the cap was bleeding off pressure, is that normal? Do I need to get the thermostat checked anyways? The temp gage was right in the middle when this happened so I don't think it was overheating. This was only the second occurance I have heard the bubbling and smelled antifreeze.

Thanks again!