View Full Version : Wow this shop owner would be dead

LS1Adam84
10-27-2010, 02:33 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5668088/how-a-tuner-totaled-a-200000-ford-gt

I know this is a GM site but wow I just got wind of this from a buddy of mine, I am absolutely enamored by the sheer awe of the GT and this would suck regardless of what brand you like.

GTOSE
10-27-2010, 03:08 AM
This is why I don't have shops work on my car.

Or if I do, I'm always present.

And that's with my sleds, if I had a 100k$ car I'd probably have the time to learn to work on it and tune it.

AznMuscle
10-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Would rage so hard...

myk
10-27-2010, 04:23 AM
My local GM dealership had these 2 guys in the parts department for like, I dunno 300 years. One day, after the holidays of '08, I was stopping in to buy parts and noticed that the two guys weren't there anymore. I asked why, and I was told by the new staff that they had taken two customer's brand new Vette's, that had been left over the weekend, for a joyride spanning over two whole days! On the way back, one of the Vettes got into a fender bender.

When I used to take my car in for work I know the shops hated me, because I would literally wait around-all day long if I had to. I don't trust anyone for s**t.

As for that Shadow-cock, or whatever his name is, he's completely responsible for whatever happened to that 'GT. The owner better sue. How the hell can anyone defend that d-bag?

transamtom
10-27-2010, 04:28 AM
That would suck big time:(

On the Ford GT note I had one beside me at the strip and man did that thing fly.(with all 4 wheels on the ground)

1.803 60ft 10.823 at 135.84mph

NoGo
10-27-2010, 07:37 AM
I get hired to tune all kinds of stuff.

This is a tough situation if you ask me. To do a proper job on alot of customers cars you have to drive them....and to a certain extent you have to stretch the sled's legs to make sure it doesn't ping, hit the limiter on shifts, etc....

Some cars when you get on them are just very dangerous. I can see how this easily happened to a tuner. Most of the high HP front-wheel drive cars I do are very unstable once the turbo spools.

Not to say my insurance wouldn't cover it, but I can totally see how a car could get away from a tuner.

01ssreda4
10-27-2010, 08:40 AM
You can't tune a car at part-throttle. However, my tuner rides shotgun while i drive. But this isn't a camaro we are talking about here. I dunno why he didn't tune on a dyno??? For any buyer/owner out there, keep adequate insurance. That's your responsibility as the owner. Lots on scenarios here.

NoGo
10-27-2010, 08:53 AM
You can only do so much on a dyno.

Had a cobra kit car once that was a flying coffin. The guy didn't install his rear linkage correctly. I hit the gas, an odd twang noise came from the back, and the thing took off to the left - so you never know.

99FormulaM6
10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Whenever my cars we tuned, I drove and the tuner sat in the passenger seat logging/making corrections.

If I dropped the car off at a shop, then I expect their insurance to cover any damages. That's the whole reason of insurance, to cover the 'oh shit' incidents that might happen.

ppp
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM
...still should have garage coverage

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
10-27-2010, 09:47 AM
You can't tune a car at part-throttle. However, my tuner rides shotgun while i drive. But this isn't a camaro we are talking about here. I dunno why he didn't tune on a dyno??? For any buyer/owner out there, keep adequate insurance. That's your responsibility as the owner. Lots on scenarios here.

:disgust:

WarShrike
10-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm usually driving, tuner is shotgun. I take my car to shops where I know the owners really well or I know the person doing the work rather well. Having somebody working on your car that also respects your property is such an important thing, but so many people hardly give a damn anymore.

Heck in the 8 years I've owned my car, only a handfull of people have sat behind the wheel of my car:
Mom (once)
Dad (Maybe 6 occasions while working on it)
Wife (multiple times, she likes the noise lol!)
Alignment guy, once.
Tire shop, 4 times, all while sitting there watching what they do.
State inspection, same guy every year.

02sleeperz28
10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow...

LS1Adam84
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
I understand how some cars can come around on you but if you don't get a feel for a car before you get into it them you are just asking for trouble.

my bandit
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
this might be a dumb question.... why did one tuner send his car to another tuner to get tuned? thats like sending your wife to get knocked up by another guy

Nacho SS
10-28-2010, 01:10 AM
The Shadow-douche guy is a fuck.

"Driving along like a grandma" Yeah, right. We all know what went down. 200mph supercar, loud pedal, 35 mph is boring.

Gaunt's_Girl
10-28-2010, 01:20 AM
this might be a dumb question.... why did one tuner send his car to another tuner to get tuned? thats like sending your wife to get knocked up by another guy

:rotflmao: So...tempting...for sig quote!

Really though, that blows. I am always cautious and weary with situations dealing with cars because everyone hears the "stories" like these.

My car will only go to shops where I can trust people to respect my car. Plus, it's a basically stock FBody, not sure why anyone would want to joyride in my car :lol:

01ssreda4
10-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I'm usually driving, tuner is shotgun. I take my car to shops where I know the owners really well or I know the person doing the work rather well. Having somebody working on your car that also respects your property is such an important thing, but so many people hardly give a damn anymore.

Heck in the 8 years I've owned my car, only a handfull of people have sat behind the wheel of my car:
Mom (once)
Dad (Maybe 6 occasions while working on it)
Wife (multiple times, she likes the noise lol!)
Alignment guy, once.
Tire shop, 4 times, all while sitting there watching what they do.
State inspection, same guy every year.

Wow, thats a lot of people.

In 3 1/2 years....
(1) my old lady pulled it across the yard.
(1) Let friend I trust drive it a couple of miles with me riding with him.
(0) state inspection
(0) tire shop/alignment
(0) mom, dad, relatives etc.

WarShrike
10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Has to be driven for state inspection here (at least the shops that aren't trying to lose their license), had to get it aligned after swapping k-member, it'd walk all over the place beforehand lol!

Camaro_94
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Saw this over on SVTP.

If you find a shop you can totally trust with your car, its awesome. I go to New Era (vendor on this site, theyre local) and I can drop my car off and know they'll take good care of it for me. Never had a problem, as they have an outstanding rep.

cambirdracing
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Not to rob the thread, but my ex emailed me about her car. She had taken it in 3 weeks ago for a tune up (3.8 GP). The mechanic screwed it up so bad that he had the heads off b/c one of them cracked which was caused by a bad pushrod!? I am glad I know how to work on my vehicles.

XxGarbSxX
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
It's a shitty situation. I can understand how this sort of thing could happen, but the fact that the guy wasn't carrying the right insurance in case something like this happened is inexcusable. The accident is 100% Knobloch's fault, and he is responsible for adequately compensating Hofman for the loss. I'm sure a judge would see it the same way, too. I have a feeling this is going to go to court.

EchoMirage
10-29-2010, 07:25 AM
i cant stand how they constantly refer to the car as a 'gal'

LS1Adam84
10-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Not to rob the thread, but my ex emailed me about her car. She had taken it in 3 weeks ago for a tune up (3.8 GP). The mechanic screwed it up so bad that he had the heads off b/c one of them cracked which was caused by a bad pushrod!? I am glad I know how to work on my vehicles.

Yeah that happens, I have heard of some UTI grads around my area messing up big time, my teacher for my auto class I am taking at a local community college always has to ask his UTI grads if they know what he told them to do, like check the runout of a rotor.

I have heard this before from my understanding for these guys with expensive super cars they are referring to the vehicle like a prize horse as or something and they give a female persona to the vehicle. I call my Z28 Tracy, or she, but never gal lol.

Cole Train
10-29-2010, 08:39 PM
damn... i would definatly be getting a lawyer

BLK85
10-29-2010, 11:38 PM

That took longer than expected. Lots of people comment on how this Dbag refers to cars.

damn... i would definatly be getting a lawyer

When the story said he flew to So Cal to figure it out, that means he flew in his personal Lear 35. The owner owns 36 cars last I heard. He has lawyers(pular) on this issue Im sure.