Sponsored by:

Car dies after big cam install, what to do till tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies after big cam install, what to do till tune

Hello,

I recently purchased and installed a MS4 with the supportive mods. I have a scheduled dyno tune at a shop in 3 weeks, but I gotta drive this thing a bit. Over all its not to bad, just when it gets hot it will die as I slowdown to a light. I have 1 extra hole in my TB but wondering if there is anything I can do. drill another hole? Anything for adjusting the TPS? or just deal with it till the tune. I could only find tips on this for LT1's for some reason... So if you could help me out I would appreciate it.

2001 T/A M6 120K miles, valve springs, MS4, retainers, pushrods, lifters, pnp heads, headers, exhaust w/ cutout, custom intake.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you come to stops or real low rolls.. don't stop sudden it will make it surge slow down slower than normal.
when you are sitting hold the rpms around 900 rpms, you will find the sweet spot and will adjust quick.

Both those should do the trick. You can try moving your idle screw and raise the idle. It is next to the tb behind the blade.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

X2^^^^^
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I see several problems here. My thoughts:

-Stop drilling holes. You're only going to compound the problem. At this point, you either need to get a new TB blade or have someone weld all the holes shut. Then redrill a factory size hole back in it.
-A "dyno tune" isn't going to make an MS4 drive right. You need to specifically ask the shop that's tuning your car if they street tune the car, and tune for hot/cold starts. If they tell you they can tune your MS4 in a couple of hours or even one day, then you need to take it somewhere else. To make one of those cams driveable, it takes 2 days minimum to allow for cold start tuning. And, if you have 3:42 gears, do not expect anything under 2K rpm's to be pleasant.
-To make the car run for now, you can try adjusting the throttle screw to open the blade. Just remember how many turns you go, so you can set it back.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have to disagree damian. My tuner , not a sponsor.but very well known on boards, had my ms4 driving perfect in 3 Dyno pulls. Idled at 850 rpms, never stalled/surged/etc.. turned over first time everytime regardless if it was twenty five degree or ninety five degrees.

Of course I would say not all tuners are of his caliber but it is doable. i am sure there was a very small room for improvement but i drove it every single day for two years and it had better manners and idled better/etc than my current 228 .588 114 lsa cam Dyno tuned by another tuner.

definitely agree on gears and drilling holes though.

*typed from phone
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
I have to disagree damian. My tuner , not a sponsor.but very well known on boards, had my ms4 driving perfect in 3 Dyno pulls. Idled at 850 rpms, never stalled/surged/etc.. turned over first time everytime regardless if it was twenty five degree or ninety five degrees.

Of course I would say not all tuners are of his caliber but it is doable. i am sure there was a very small room for improvement but i drove it every single day for two years and it had better manners and idled better/etc than my current 228 .588 114 lsa cam Dyno tuned by another tuner.

definitely agree on gears and drilling holes though.

*typed from phone
The guy just asked what to do for now. And Damian is right. You need to do a street tune and dyno tune to make sure that it is driveable. Your tuner may have got it right the first time but it doesn't always happen like that. When you take it to a shop, they have a business and want it to be right the first time. They don't just do it on the side. They don't want comebacks.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
The guy just asked what to do for now. And Damian is right. You need to do a street tune and dyno tune to make sure that it is driveable. Your tuner may have got it right the first time but it doesn't always happen like that. When you take it to a shop, they have a business and want it to be right the first time. They don't just do it on the side. They don't want comebacks.
he obviously can't get in to get his tine until then and needs to drive his car.for whatever reason. for now, tune is out of the question.

I gave him options to patch the problem until he could get the solution, which he knew and damian stated.

Just because my tuner isn't a sponsor does not mean he doesn't do good business. You are in the south, I am sure you know him. He is very reputable and does extremely good business. I have never heard of someone getting a tune that was not above par from him.
You do not always have to get a street tune for a far to have above average manners, you definitely need a good turner. He has not street tuned any of my car or when i chanhe setups and all have drove perfect.
I completely understand what was said in the entire thread, my comment was towards damian and I voiced it in a respectful manner and gave my reason why I thought differently.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Heh, seemed to start a little ruckus. Thanks for the input guys, I'll try drilling a couple more holes for good measure...

I kid I kid... I'll adjust the screw for now and work with the idle a bit, thanks for the input.

Ian
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

Agree to disagree. I fix what some people think are "great tunes" all the time when I get them in the shop and the damn car has a completely untouched MAF/VE table.

I'll stick to my real time street tuning, rather than simulated dyno tuning.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say rent or borrow a car until you can get it tuned. Don't drive it. Treat it as if it were broken because it is.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Damien is right, sure you can get it running well the first time, but there is so much that goes into properly setting up a tune and yes for idle that means a bunch of scans from cold idle and what not.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you should of planned atleast a starter tune so it could be driven easier.Just have to make due for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Car dies after big cam install, what to do till tune