Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z28/Formula vs SS/WS6

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 10:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Z28/Formula vs SS/WS6

I can not find any old threads on this topic. I know we've discussed it to death, but there is a thread at thridgen.org with a bunch of kids saying how much faster a ram air car is that z28's. I am just trying to find one of those threads where a noob asks about that stuff and we all set them straight
Old 02-02-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ram air faster than a Z28???? MAYBE a LITTLE bit at 100 mph plus......stock WS6s have baffles in the ram air as im sure everyone knows anyway, and dont even get me started on the SS "ram air" system.... its all in the badging....uninformed people think that "RAM AIR" = FASTER....find me an SS with my exact mods and watch what happens.....its kind of dumb when you think about it...these people who dont know better think that spending the extra cash for a WS6/SS gives them some kind of reign over lowly Z28/Formula "Base" V8s....let them think what they want....they may get a surprise if they ever run into us Z28/Formula owners.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

I find it funny sometimes when talking to these kind of people who know nothing about these cars. "He has an SS, it's gotta be faster than your Z28! It's got Ram-Air" or "It's a Corvette, it's a lot faster than your Z28!" is what I hear A LOT of the time. I tell them it's the same exact motor in all of these cars. And of course they disagree with me, then we get in a big argument. Eventually I just give up because they are so certain of their knowledge of these cars.

One time at a Chevy dealership, the salesman was talking about the Corvette and how it is so much faster than a SS because the motor is a completely different design. Then the SS has ram-air, which adds the extra 15 HP. I couldn't help but laugh at him. I told him, an LS1 is an LS1, they are all the same, just a Corvette is a little lighter then the F-Body. They all have the same exact LS1.

Ryan
Old 02-02-2004, 01:02 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont waste my time with pointless threads like that :shrug:, the voice of reason usually goes over the head of people of that nature.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
...they may get a surprise if they ever run into us Z28/Formula owners.
Hey us WS.6, SS owners mod our cars too, lol.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock for stock on avg the SS/WS6 is faster because of the few performance parts they had. When both are modded they are the same. I prefer a car that is alittle less common myself. That being said i wouldnt buy a Z but its basicly the same car.Just like i wouldnt buy a GT i would buy a Mach or a Saleen or a pre-03 cobra(the 03 is out of my range). Tony
Old 02-02-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hey us WS.6, SS owners mod our cars too, lol.
lol yes of course, but tell that to the guy in the 01 SS (that he had just bought) i was talking to over the summer at a stoplight....he asked if my Z was the 5.3 Liter or the LT1 ( what?!?!) and if i did enough mods to keep up with an SS yet..... .....needless to say we had a bit of fun down the road and he saw that i had indeed done enough mods to keep up with his SS......in fact id done enough mods to destroy his SS.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
lol yes of course, but tell that to the guy in the 01 SS (that he had just bought) i was talking to over the summer at a stoplight....he asked if my Z was the 5.3 Liter or the LT1 ( what?!?!) and if i did enough mods to keep up with an SS yet..... .....needless to say we had a bit of fun down the road and he saw that i had indeed done enough mods to keep up with his SS......in fact id done enough mods to destroy his SS.
LMAO!!

Here is a Kill story from a friend of mine who had a 01 WS.6 at the time;

I got stopped at a light today on White Rock between Sunrise and Zinfandel and this kid in a new Silver SS pulls up along side me, so I decided to compliment him on his car. He immediatly tells me it has 325HP vs. my 305HP and how he has already smoked two Vettes, he was really being a jerk. This was all I needed to put me in the mood. The light turned green and he hit it hard, I stepped into the converter until about 20mph staying even with him cause I was on F1's then I hammered it, I had him by atleast 3 car lengths by the time I hit 60mph and let off.

We pulled up to the next light and this kid was furious that he lost. I calmly explained to him that he should take the car back to the dealer and have it checked out because his 325HP was way more than my 305HP and there must be something wrong with it and he bought into that as his excuse..hehe

Kid if you're on this board I have two things to say to you. Know your facts before you shoot your mouth off and don't be so friggen gulable it's embarrassing.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:48 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 98SS Blackattack
Stock for stock on avg the SS/WS6 is faster because of the few performance parts they had. When both are modded they are the same. I prefer a car that is alittle less common myself. That being said i wouldnt buy a Z but its basicly the same car.Just like i wouldnt buy a GT i would buy a Mach or a Saleen or a pre-03 cobra(the 03 is out of my range). Tony
Few performance parts? Like what? Wider tires, "ram air", and an exhaust which isn't all that great?
Old 02-02-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

I just like the non functional, over weight hood! But I am going to get a normal trans am, and just throw on a functional hood. I think the Z28 and formula's are faster then the SS and WS6's. They are lighter, and at the track, I see a lot of them just a tad bit quicker as well. Again thats my opinion and from what i've seen. I personally like the sleeper look, get a formula or Z28, take the badging off and put on firebird or camaro badging(V6 badges) and confuse the hell outta people.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Z28 SS WS6 Who cares! Buy what you can afford i bought A SS cause i wanted A SS not because its faster. It takes money to go fast and as far as anyone car being faster stock for stock we can debate that for days
Old 02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Well, let's not try to bash on us SS and WS6 owners...we clearly had the money to buy them, plus...we are all one big family still...if someone got a SS and said, something stupid...slap him...then beat him...but when I first got my SS I beat stock Z28's, but only by a car or less...Now that I'm modded, and I race my modded Z28's pals...we are the same pretty much with the same mods...I'm a little faster, but im not sure why....Every car has it's match...
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I wanted a SS for the looks. I found my Z28 for super cheap, so that's why I don't have a SS.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea nobodys is knocking on SS/WS6 owners....when i was looking for an LS1 i started off looking for a Black WS6 but had to adjust my choices when i saw what they were going for....part of me still wishes i held out longer for the ram air TA...they (along with SSs just look so friggen cool)....o well maybe the next car...
Old 02-02-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoloSport
Well, let's not try to bash on us SS and WS6 owners...we clearly had the money to buy them...
Having the money wasn't the issue for me. I had plenty of money for an SS. I simply chose not to buy one (as did a lot of other people). My reason was that I couldn't quite see the value for the extra dough (besides, I always wanted a Z28). That said, if I were to do it over again, I would have bought an SS. Yes, I admit my mistake. But I love my strong running Z28.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SS was worth anywhere from 0 to +20 factory-rated
(make of that what you will) HP - lid and/or catback,
and the hood is pretty. Also more likely to come with
performance axle (lower gears). That last being a
big difference in an unmodded car, I drove a Z/28
at the dealer before ordering the SS and its 2.73
set made it kinda sluggish.

So a best-to-worst matchup would put lid, catback
and gears up against stock, stock, stock.

And worst-to-best, no difference or upside-down.

But throw in the matching (non-remote) key fobs
and the choice is crystal clear.

Not to mention the value of impressing ricetards from
greater distance.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Few performance parts? Like what? Wider tires, "ram air", and an exhaust which isn't all that great?
Thats it. Its not much but it was advertised to the public as faster. In most cases it was worth acouple 10ths.A soon as you mod it wont matter.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Also more likely to come with
performance axle (lower gears). That last being a
big difference in an unmodded car, I drove a Z/28
at the dealer before ordering the SS and its 2.73
set made it kinda sluggish.
All M6 f-bods have 3.42's. A4's could be optioned with 3.23's. Standard A4's are 2.73's.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

I think I can add to this. When the 02's hit production, I bought a Z-28. I was happy with the car. 11 months later, I got rid of that and got a new SS before they were gone. I got a deal on the Z-28 as I worked at the dealership at that time. With the SS, I had to pay full sticker plus the SLP options. Lets just say that I could have bought a used C5 for less, but it was worth every penny. I hated the hood on the Z-28 and the flat spoiler. I don't mess with appearance mods and the SS was perfect for me. I could instantly feel the jump from 310 HP to 345 HP. I will tell you, I do not miss the Z-28, but I will NEVER get rid of my SS. For the people who have Z's and like the appearance, that is cool. But to those that change the appearance, don't bash us SS owners. If I never would have got my SS, my Z would have had to have gotten the SS hood and spoiler. It is just a sleek looking car. But in the end, they are all Camaro's. So really, no body got the shaft.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 007SS
...With the SS, I had to pay full sticker plus the SLP options...
You are truly a hardcore SS lover. Although I would have loved an SS, to pull the trigger on a 'full sticker' deal would've been hard for me to swallow. But then again...it does look so damn good.