Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver Head/cam questions!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daily Driver Head/cam questions!

How's it goin guys? My formula is my daily driver but I wanna spice it up a bit. Shes got 125k on the ls1 as of right now. Definately gonna rebuild it when I have the work done, what should I have replaced when I have it rebuilt? Also, I wanna do a cam and maybe heads. What are your reccomendations for a pretty healthy dd cam? I was thinking high 220s with maybe a 112 or 114 lsa. Any reccomendations? I want something that is somewhat bigger than avg, sounds mean, but most of all gives me a great power increase. Also, should I do cylinder heads with it? I'm kinda on a budget and I know I'm gonna have to tune it atleast, but would it be worth it to upgrade to ls6 heads? If so, what should I do to them? (pushrods, valve springs, etc.) Any help appreciated!! The car is an M6 with 4.10 gears in the rear if that helps anything.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 AM
11 Second Club

just because it has 125k doesnt necessarily mean it needs rebuilt. if everything is ok id just do a heads / cam swap. there are plenty of people that have done it with more miles including myself.

you can get a set of ls6 heads for around $500 in the classifieds section. you will more than like need new pushrods and springs depending on what cam you go with. search around in this section and you will more than likely find something that suits your goals. if not there are plenty of sponsors on here you can talk to about a custom grind as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSmoken
just because it has 125k doesnt necessarily mean it needs rebuilt. if everything is ok id just do a heads / cam swap. there are plenty of people that have done it with more miles including myself.

you can get a set of ls6 heads for around $500 in the classifieds section. you will more than like need new pushrods and springs depending on what cam you go with. search around in this section and you will more than likely find something that suits your goals. if not there are plenty of sponsors on here you can talk to about a custom grind as well.
Alright cool. How many did you have on? Mines running great. Fuel pressure reg. might be starting to go but its not that bad and theres a small tick but its not that bad either.

Hmm, alright cool. Would port/polishing them be worth it as well? I was thinking something like a 228/232 duration, somewhere in the higher 500s lift, and a 112lsa. Would I have to do lifters, oil pump, timing chain, injectors, or a clutch? I'm hoping to get around 400hp with the full exhaust.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 8 different cams in my car. A 228/232 is what i would of said to try. with a tune it will drive great,sound tough and pull pretty good up to 6,500. a 114lob will give it some added drivability. You should do a new hi-val oil pump and a new timing chain to freshen it up. i would get new lifters cuz your in there and you will need push rods. do it right and freshen up those things so your car is good. Injectors only if they are maxing out and a clutch when you need it. You don't need to put a clutch just cuz you added a cam. when the clutch goes bad,put a better one. Good luck to ya.

Last edited by mike c.; 11-03-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

ive got 142k now. cam swap at 132k, and heads at 140k.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to the op, your in california. if you dont have a "smog guy" your car is not gonna pass smog legaly with a cam that has that much overlap. so the 228/232 on a 112 you have in mind will not pass smog just to let you know. if you want a cam to pass the sniffer legaly you can go no more overlap than -4*. so keep that in mind if your picking out cams. the 224r cam on a 114 will pass, so will a 220r on a 112, or a 222/226 on a 114. and even if you do have a "smog guy" you still need to worry about your car being heard by a cop any you being pulled over and him sending you to a ref. station. than your gonna be screwed cuz you car is not gonna pass their tests.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
to the op, your in california. if you dont have a "smog guy" your car is not gonna pass smog legaly with a cam that has that much overlap. so the 228/232 on a 112 you have in mind will not pass smog just to let you know. if you want a cam to pass the sniffer legaly you can go no more overlap than -4*. so keep that in mind if your picking out cams. the 224r cam on a 114 will pass, so will a 220r on a 112, or a 222/226 on a 114. and even if you do have a "smog guy" you still need to worry about your car being heard by a cop any you being pulled over and him sending you to a ref. station. than your gonna be screwed cuz you car is not gonna pass their tests.
Sounds like forced induction all the way in California!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
Yea. Well when smog time comes around, I'll go find someone because theres no way it's gonna pass smog at a basic shop with even the exhaust I want on it so it's not a big deal if it passes. Lol, yea..hate the cops but thats why theres neutral!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSmoken
ive got 142k now. cam swap at 132k, and heads at 140k.
Alright sick. Mine's runnin fine although there is a slight tick coming from what sounds like the left side of the engine. Very slight but noticable if you're listening for it.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I DD a 224/228 cam, and it has excellent street manners.. almost stock, it seems. But that might be a bit of flawed thinking because my last build had a 240+ duration vindicator cam in it...

Honestly, they have been doing insane things with the new EPS cams lately, coupled with a set of untouched LS6 castings, and an LS6 intake. The parts can be had for less than the price of just a set of TFS heads, and make great power. But there are always trade offs, if you want more, you have to give up more.. typically.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Drivability is more in the tune than the cam. But for your scenario I would recommend anything under 230* .650 on a 113. Heads will help, but are NOT required. I would look into pushrods and valve springs if anything. Oil pump and timing chain should be changed at your miles(assuming they have not been changed yet) especially while your in that arae of the motor anyways.
Good luck OP.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

there are CNC'd 5.3L heads in the for sale section for $500 right now.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brad Hutchcraft
I DD a 224/228 cam, and it has excellent street manners.. almost stock, it seems. But that might be a bit of flawed thinking because my last build had a 240+ duration vindicator cam in it...

Honestly, they have been doing insane things with the new EPS cams lately, coupled with a set of untouched LS6 castings, and an LS6 intake. The parts can be had for less than the price of just a set of TFS heads, and make great power. But there are always trade offs, if you want more, you have to give up more.. typically.
Lol damn, thats a nice cam.
Where can I find eps cams?

Originally Posted by JustAnotherLS2
Drivability is more in the tune than the cam. But for your scenario I would recommend anything under 230* .650 on a 113. Heads will help, but are NOT required. I would look into pushrods and valve springs if anything. Oil pump and timing chain should be changed at your miles(assuming they have not been changed yet) especially while your in that arae of the motor anyways.
Good luck OP.
Ok. Really? I was thinking either a 228/232 and somewhere around .580s on 112 or maybe a 230/234..I want a pretty nice sized cam, with a great lope, that will get me nice power with a lower power/torque curve because I'm not gonna string it out to much and even then it'll only be till like 6200-6500 max. Ok, thanks for the tips. Is it worth it to do an adjustable timing chain and ported ls6 oil pump or just stock replacements?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

And any idea of what that tick is? When its cold, the tick is a little louder, as it warms up it goes almost completely away. Gets faster with a higher rpm..
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I DD an HPE megadeath cam with LS6 heads in an M6, it gets annoying sometimes but the power is intoxicating lol
Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBearJew
I DD an HPE megadeath cam with LS6 heads in an M6, it gets annoying sometimes but the power is intoxicating lol
You daily that?? Wow..props man. I didnt think anyone dailys something that big otherwise thats what I'd be looking at! haha
Whats all the info on it..power/tq numbers, stock ls6 heads?, what other mods did you do, how many miles on engine, on cam, how much worse is mileage, etc etcc. Much appreciated man!

Search this Thread