Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM HPT over write w/EFI live?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCM HPT over write w/EFI live?

I have a 08 G8 GT with a HPT tune in it. Can it be flashed back stock with HPT and tuned with EFI live without issues? I trashed one computer already trying to over write a EFI live tune but didn't flash it back stock.

What I would like to do is tune the A6 with the EFI live since HPT can't tune the A6 to handle a twin turbo setup. If I could just raise the base line pressure to keep it from blowing thru the clutches when the boost comes on, I might be able to work with the HPT software.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G8-4-speed
I have a 08 G8 GT with a HPT tune in it. Can it be flashed back stock with HPT and tuned with EFI live without issues? I trashed one computer already trying to over write a EFI live tune but didn't flash it back stock.

What I would like to do is tune the A6 with the EFI live since HPT can't tune the A6 to handle a twin turbo setup. If I could just raise the base line pressure to keep it from blowing thru the clutches when the boost comes on, I might be able to work with the HPT software.

as long as you havent put in a custom HPT OS, then you should be able to read it with EFI and then make your adjustments to your transmission

remember.. its not tuner program specific unless you have added a custom OS.
if you just blindly overwrite a tune with another program without reading the file first, then you could possibly overwrite data to the wrong spots in the pcm and it trashes it. ( I would guess that this was your issue )
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
as long as you havent put in a custom HPT OS, then you should be able to read it with EFI and then make your adjustments to your transmission

remember.. its not tuner program specific unless you have added a custom OS.
if you just blindly overwrite a tune with another program without reading the file first, then you could possibly overwrite data to the wrong spots in the pcm and it trashes it. ( I would guess that this was your issue )
The first tune was a EFI Live tune car that I uploaded to my HPT software, modified, and then reinstalled. It was a new beta with a timing map glitch that trashed it. They fixed the glitch but couldn't recover the computer. There are no custom OS/patches installed so hopefully I am ok. Need to do something to get the line pressure up or the turbos are worthless.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have any doubt (and switching software always makes
me doubt) then going to a known unmolested stock tune and
then copying in changes methodically is much safer. Especially
if you were messing with anybody's beta, which is supposed
to be for crash test dummies who're willing to assume the risk.