Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 dead cylinder Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 dead cylinder Help

Whats the best was to see if you have a bad injector the motor been sitting for 12 months and fired it up this weekend and pass side front cylinder is not firring all other pipes were warm.

Possible issues
1-injector ?
2-coil
3-Wire harness issue
4-Air in fuel rail

Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Coil - maybe
Spark plug wire - maybe
Spark plug - maybe
Bad injector - maybe
Injector wiring issue - maybe
Air in rail - no

This is assuming nothing happened with the motor and you still have compression in that cylinder. Start with the basics, check for spark then check for fuel. Then do a compression test. One of these will be the culprit.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Default Sorry to bring this back but i have a similar problem

Im copying this from my other thread but thats more of a build thread. Was having an issue with the car starting and was told it was the VATS.

I ended up buying a hptuner and disabling the VATS. After that she fired right up. ive since gotten things together, a little rigged here and there ill admit, and got to drive her around a little which was AWESOME after not driving it for years basically.

Now on to the problem im having. im new to the whole tuning thing and all that so hopefully i dont sound too dumb here but my issue is that the front driver cylinder, #1, is not functioning. Im not quite sure whats going on with it but after letting the car run for a minute all the other exhaust tubes get HOT and that one is still cool enough to grab on to. I dont know if its connected or if ive got another issue going on but on the scanner when i open the gauges and start the car the o2B1 and o2B2 start off around the same level (roughly 445). They stay that way for about 40 seconds then they diverge. o2B1 drops down to 50ish and o2B2 goes up to 900ish, this happens in about 15 seconds. Not sure if cylinder problem is causing this or if this is causing cylinder problem or if they are completely different problems.

I started with trying to figure out whats up with cylinder 1. so far i have tried:
-check for spark: yes
-check power to injector: yes
-swap injector for injector 3: no change
-swap coil for coil 3: no change
-swap plug wire for plug wire 3: no change
-swap plug for plug 3: no change

noticed a MAJOR difference in plugs 1 and 3. 3 looked like it had been running rich, probably from lack of exhaust and open long tubes, but 1 looked like it had been running SUPER rich, like the plug was wet and major carbon buildup.

I also did a pressure test on 1 and it held pressure. i forget the exact number but it was around 140psi.

My thought was that the ecu was not providing the ground for the injector to open but then there should be no buildup on the plug......

any ideas on what might be going on? my next step right now is to swap the o2 sensors and see if anything changes.

03 5.3 vortec with roughly 100k miles. 4L60E trans. Removed evap system. Long tube headers.

Quick Reply: ls1 dead cylinder Help