PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE tuning RPM? Gear selection???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VE tuning RPM? Gear selection???

I have an M6, and when driving around logging data how are you supposed to drive? Is the VE tuning portion focused mainly on low RPM driving? Or is hitting 5000 RPM in all the different MAP cells just as important?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

When tuning VE you want to do one gear steady driving without jumping in RPM to fast, that way you can get a good count in each cell that your in, for example, staying in 3 gear at 2500 RPM and so on. You won't hit every single cell but you can get most of them, do that up to about 4K and make you adjustments along the way then do some WOT pulls and make your corrections again above 4K. It's a long and lengthy process if you want to do it right and get it perfect.

Same thing goes for the MAF tuning if you're running one. Tune VE then tune MAF.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Getting the cell count high across the RPM range seems easy, getting the hits up and down the MAP side at any particular RPM seems like the hard part.

At least we live in a hilly area
Old 11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

I was trying to do the ve a while back. The thing that was giving me trouble was when I'd have to come to a stop or sometimes while shifting I'd get a spike for the error. I had the error in the 0-3 range in most cells but had a few spikes that were around 6- 7.
It would probably work better if i got it out on a long flat stretch of highway for ve tuning. Have you had the same issues?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 z
I was trying to do the ve a while back. The thing that was giving me trouble was when I'd have to come to a stop or sometimes while shifting I'd get a spike for the error. I had the error in the 0-3 range in most cells but had a few spikes that were around 6- 7.
It would probably work better if i got it out on a long flat stretch of highway for ve tuning. Have you had the same issues?
Well, I've only finished one small set of data, but I see the same lean spikes when pushing in the clutch.

I'm hoping after I log more data I can go in and edit the data file to take out all the values that are populated between shifts, kind of like editing a video file??? Not sure though.

From my first impressions, this will be a challenge. This thing I've built seems like it wants to run, it's kind of difficult to hold it back and keep from accelerating/changing rpm!