Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

synthetic oils

Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default synthetic oils

Since I have a virtually brand new 3.8 going into the car shortly, I would like to run synthetic after my 500km break in. I'm looking at running amsoil..

Where is the best place in Toronto to buy synthetic oils? Previously my car had too many K's and leaked oil so I just ran the regular stuff...I've never seen amsoil anywhere for sale...
Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just go to your local Walmart and get some Penzoil Synthetic. They often have the 4.4L jug on sale -just keep an eye on it and then stock up.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Just go to your local Walmart and get some Penzoil Synthetic. They often have the 4.4L jug on sale -just keep an eye on it and then stock up.
I'm skeptical about running those brands...after a bit of research they didnt seem to fair to well in the tests being proformed (although I am sure the tests are biased)...I rather run just amsoil...seems to be preferred by many...I actually originally wanted to run royal purple, but doesnt look like that fairs to well either...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run Amsoil in the past and was happy with it.

I tried Royal Purple and wasn't. I have since switched back to Mobil 1 and since it's changed every 5k's I think it should be fine.

However every mechanic I have spoken to has told me that as long as the oil is changed religiously conventional is fine for most applications.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get some good info from this site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Actually UOAs(Used Oil Analysis) indicate that Pennzoil Synthetic is best bang for the buck.

Enjoy the reading.. lot of info there.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike I use Mobil 1 with a Wix filter(long style) on my 3.8L and also in my LS1 (but a short filter)
Old 11-06-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil is one of those things that everyone has a different opinion on. But rarely do you hear a really good logical explanation as to why. The Bob's site has some good info.

I would skip the Synthetic and go with regular oil if you change it regularily. Lighter oils lubricate better than thick (I use 5W30). And stick to a common brand like Valvoline or Castrol. That way you can always run the same oil, year after year without having to look too hard to find it.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Z71
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
Since I have a virtually brand new 3.8 going into the car shortly, I would like to run synthetic after my 500km break in. I'm looking at running amsoil..

Where is the best place in Toronto to buy synthetic oils? Previously my car had too many K's and leaked oil so I just ran the regular stuff...I've never seen amsoil anywhere for sale...
AMSOIL has a distribution center in the Toronto area so you should be able to find a dealer.

If you were to become a preferred customer you could buy at wholesale right from the distribution center but they do not retail from them.

PM and I will tell you how to get a preferred customer membership

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: synthetic oils