Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

88 iroc

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 iroc

i have a 88 irocz with the 350 in it, i want to rebuild it with a 383 stroker kit, i found that the l98 is a pretty cheap block to work with, headers are cheap, the stroker kit is less that 1000 bucks, so this is where i need help, if somebody has done this kind of build, please let me know what stroker kit u went with and why.

im hoping i can get info for which intake, carb, comp cam, rockers, etc to use. im looking at getting as much horsepower i can out of this block, now the part that leaves me most confused, the heads. can anybody tell me if the 88 iroc came out with aluminum, or iron heads? or if i should buy a different kind, which compression is best, etc. anything else is greatly appreciated. i want to do from top to bottom build, let me know.

i also want a t56 in it, will i have a problem with the engine being carbed? if so, what will i run into? and what do i need to do the swap?

is the rear end a posi? if so i can just throw some 373's in it and call it a rap.

my budget is ok, as long as it is not rediculous lol. ima driver, my mechanic will be doing a lot of the work. this is not my everyday driver, therefore i really dont care about gas mileage. all input will be appreciated, thanx.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out thirdgen.org.. all the info and swap stuff can be found there. good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I contemplated the 383 stroker kit when I had my '88 Iroc but went the supercharger route. Installed on the weekend nice and fast and called it a day. Enjoyed it a couple of seasons with the only issue being the weak stock 700R4. Once the 700R4 grenaded, I went with a Bowtie Overdrive unit, and was pretty reliable. The T56 you want to install is a good plan. If you have your mind set on the 383, do check out thirdgen.org as mentioned for ideas from other builds.

Quick Reply: 88 iroc