LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise

So I thought i should ask you guys this question before i go into the dealer

EVERY time i pull off after starting my car there is a noise which sounds like traction control kicking on it lasts maybe 2 seconds.....there is little vibration from the brake peddle but absolutely no braking at all i don't think it is the traction control because it does not make the same sound when the tires do get loose....anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

That is the sound of the brake controller (ABS/ESC/TCS) self-testing. It quickly fires all of the valves and checks their operation. If that test isn't passed, the ABS light will come on and you won't have ABS/ESC/TCS. Every car that has ABS does that, but depending on a lot of factors it is more or less noticeable.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nmp0098
That is the sound of the brake controller (ABS/ESC/TCS) self-testing. It quickly fires all of the valves and checks their operation. If that test isn't passed, the ABS light will come on and you won't have ABS/ESC/TCS. Every car that has ABS does that, but depending on a lot of factors it is more or less noticeable.
no shiiit then good im glad it does that loll i just wish it was a little more quite

Anyone with a GXP have the same noise?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

yup, its normal
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
yup, its normal
hmmm what about the whining noise when i turn the wheel loll
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteGXP313
So I thought i should ask you guys this question before i go into the dealer

EVERY time i pull off after starting my car there is a noise which sounds like traction control kicking on it lasts maybe 2 seconds.....there is little vibration from the brake peddle but absolutely no braking at all i don't think it is the traction control because it does not make the same sound when the tires do get loose....anyone have any ideas?
nmp0098 is right. My Monte just started doing this 2 weeks ago. When I first pull away, my traction light kicks on for about 2 seconds and then goes away. But two days ago after it made that "noise", my ABS light came on. It's usally just a sign that a wheel bearing is failing.

If you have a whining noise while turning, it's a problem with the power steering. Check the fluid level!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JessmoMonteSS

If you have a whining noise while turning, it's a problem with the power steering. Check the fluid level!
I just bought the dam thing
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteGXP313
I just bought the dam thing
Don't sweat it man it's a used car so you're going to have to do some general maintenance and repairs to keep her running strong. If you're not leaking any power steering fluid then it's most likely just low on fluid. Hopefully it's not the pump or steering rack. First thing I'd recommend is a tranny service if you're over 50k miles (if you haven't already done it)
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

i kindof want the tranny to go so i can get a new one while its still under warrenty if that does happen ima put mods in it to make it last