Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls6 : Whats a good intake manifold? Edlebrock proflo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls6 : Whats a good intake manifold? Edlebrock proflo?

Lookin at edlebrock pro flo xt and fast 90/90 and bbk ssi ? The fast are so expensive and the edlebrock in black looks so sick. What do you guys think ?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bbk ssi intakes are a good piece. i dont know anyone who has the edelbrock manifold but it does look sick
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Problem with the pro-flow xt is fit. Which it doesn't, easily, unless you've got a truck or a swapped vehicle. It does look sick. I'd want to try it with 2 throttle bodies on the top, tunnel ram style, but not in an f or y body, lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 PM

ive seen um cut the under part of the vette hoods an fit it..i might do it
Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rayrayls6
ive seen um cut the under part of the vette hoods an fit it..i might do it
Cutting the top and rewelding would greatly reduce plenum volume. Plus the Pro Flow already suffers baddly from loss of torque because of its design. Its basically a sheet metal intake thats been cast in aluminum to make it cheap, and is still heavy compared to plastic manifolds. You still have to buy the fuel rails too, do they make them for your injector? (What engine do you have?)

The BBK makes the same power as an LS6, but is a big heavy aluminum piece as well. I would go LS6 before I went with the BBK.

THe FAST costs more, but make more power than the BBK/LS6 and beats the Pro FLow by 25-35lbft down low in the 2500-5500 RPM range and depending on your top end makes the same power. The Pro flow will make a few more hp(5-10hp) at the 6000+ RPM range if you have a highly modified engine. But it comes at the cost of mushy drivability because of the very low torque it makes compared to both the FAST and the LS6. And, again, it doesnt "bolt on".

If you were drag racing only, had a 5500+ stall and left the line at 5500+ the Pro flow is what you would want.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 11-06-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Cutting the top and rewelding would greatly reduce plenum volume. Plus the Pro Flow already suffers baddly from loss of torque because of its design. Its basically a sheet metal intake thats been cast in aluminum to make it cheap, and is still heavy compared to plastic manifolds. You still have to buy the fuel rails too, do they make them for your injector? (What engine do you have?)

The BBK makes the same power as an LS6, but is a big heavy aluminum piece as well. I would go LS6 before I went with the BBK.

THe FAST costs more, but make more power than the BBK/LS6 and beats the Pro FLow by 25-35lbft down low in the 2500-5500 RPM range and depending on your top end makes the same power. The Pro flow will make a few more hp(5-10hp) at the 6000+ RPM range if you have a highly modified engine. But it comes at the cost of mushy drivability because of the very low torque it makes compared to both the FAST and the LS6. And, again, it doesnt "bolt on".

If you were drag racing only, had a 5500+ stall and left the line at 5500+ the Pro flow is what you would want.

I think he is talking about cutting the Vette hood to get the intake to fit, not cutting the intake manifold.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lookinto the pro flow the guy above is clueless and is pulling numbers out of his ***. Look for dyno graphs and you will see they do fine in the tq dept
Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rayrayls6
Lookin at edlebrock pro flo xt and fast 90/90 and bbk ssi ? The fast are so expensive and the edlebrock in black looks so sick. What do you guys think ?
OP, it all depends on you goals. DD? Street? Track? What kind of build are you planning/do you have? What kind of powerband do you wish to have? Each three intakes have there ups and downs. One make more power up high(edlebrock) where the others have been proven to show gains throughout the whole powerband(FAST). The BBK intake, im sure has its place in a certain build/application, but I'm not familiar with it and will not go into researching it, nor spread wrong information about it.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tittan1500
Lookinto the pro flow the guy above is clueless and is pulling numbers out of his ***. Look for dyno graphs and you will see they do fine in the tq dept
your the one guessing, Im the one who has seen it personally. Everything I said is 100% true, and you dont need a dyno graph to prove it. Any one who knows anything can see the Edlebrock is designed for high RPM.

Stop trying to play internet tough guy and let the people who actually understand what they are talking about teach others, without nonsense from the peanut gallery.

Originally Posted by JustAnotherLS2
Each three intakes have there ups and downs. One make more power up high(edlebrock) where the others have been proven to show gains throughout the whole powerband(FAST). The BBK intake, im sure has its place in a certain build/application.
See, Im not the only one who understands that everything has its application. I just gave more detail with numbers I have personally seen.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8

Proof? Im trying to find info about the proflo
Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raffman
Well I just confirmed my thoughts with Richard @ WCCH , this intake gives up way too much bottom end for my application. I'm almost a second slower at the 1/8th mi strip and throttle responce is a little lazy.
Richard says they act a lot like the victor (3500-7000 rpm) but shorter runners, so it would have to be for a lighter vehicle, looser converter and lower gear or something that can afford to give up so much bottom.
I'm running a 4L80E, 3000 stall with 3.73's and don't want to change and give up driveability. The fact is there is nothing out there currently for most of our trucks. FAST is supposily working on a truck only intake but sure it will be big $ when and if.
So I'm going back to the LS6 intake, it falls off some at the top but I was in the high 7's at the 1/8th with it so not too bad.
My only regret.........I sold my LS6 intake.................................
Here someones personal experience I found, plus Richard at WCCH agrees as well.

Quick Reply: Ls6 : Whats a good intake manifold? Edlebrock proflo?