Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

the best head unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the best head unit

i'm looking for a new head unit to put in my 2004 gto. what are the best stereo's out there for this car that cost around 200 clams?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your pick of JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine. For your car I'd spend a little more and go double DIN since it has the opening already there for that. Good inexpensive Pioneer AVHP3200DVD is about $100.00 more but worth every penny for what you have.
If not then I use the Pioneer DEHP5200HD, Kenwood KDCBT645U, JVC AHD-69 is a favorite, and the Alpine CDE-105, CDE-103BT are also quite good.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just did my rounds of searching for a HU and bought a Sony CDX-GT740UI. But it's all about your taste.

For me, User Interface was my #1 requirement. I figured most HU's audio performance was about the same, but then you have really crappy ones and really nice ones. The Sony 740UI had the best UI BY FAR! UI, for me, included the way the screen looks, how much text fits, etc. Kenwood seemed to have about the worst - No radio preset buttons (you have to select it via a ****), etc. But again, even with UI, that's personal preference too.

For me, it was a toss up between an Alpine CDA-117 and Sony CDX-GT740UI. Alpine is like $340 list while Sony is about $200 list. Ultimately, it was Sony's UI that won me over. I liked the Biolite on Alpine, the ergonomics are nice too, but the Alpine's screen just didn't have enough information/letters.

In general, though, from my limited research, the Alpine CDA 117 and Kenwood Excelon seem to get really high marks from a lot of users for their audio quality (EQ settings, audio adjustments, etc).
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys. i will take a look at them all. i also was looking at the clarion cx609. it's a double din and has alot of options, including a 7 band eq. i plan on getting an ipod to use in the car. i also like the speaker phone (blue tooth) option. the clarion also has a stock look to it. i'm going to take my time on buying the one i want. i have a loose $200. limit but for some reason i always seem to go over it on many buys.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sony GT-700Hd, it's an High Def radio, sounds Great!! Into the 21st century.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

I'm running a Pioneer DEH-P6800MP. Took a bit to get all the controls figured out, but it's a really powerful unit. You're not likely to find anything with a 7-band eq for cheaper. Aux and usb are lacking/nonexistant, but for an older unit, that's to be expected. All in all, I like it, but you should just shop around - go to your local shop and try out a bunch of stuff and see what you like. Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc are all good. Try to avoid the cheap stuff like Dual, etc: you'll end up regretting it when it breaks. In my experience, you can get a lot of features for the price with Pioneer or Kenwood, but that comes at the cost of usability: the interfaces are confusing/unintuitive. With Alpine, you can get good basic features and great interface for a good price (eg CDE-102), but the price curve for more advanced features/accessories is pretty steep.
Just my 2 cents - in the end, go with what suits you.

Quick Reply: the best head unit