Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1-LS6 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1-LS6 Swap

Hi Guys-a buddy of mine recommended this sight as the BEST place to get help for my modern muscle!

I had catastrophic engine failure with my 29,000 mile LS1; # 6 exploded and broke the rod in half as well as punched 2 holes in the block. Or maybe the rod broke in half first and then everything else exploded???? Boat anchor anyone?

I was finally able to purchase a NEW LS6 for $3,200.00 and then I installed it recently. (Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll hook you up with contact info, they probably have 50+ left, no joke they bought out all that GM had.) I fired it up finally the other day and it had a dead miss in #6. I rented a code reader, cleared out the codes and it still had a miss. I hooked up the code reader again and it said error P0300-miss in the ignition.

All brand new plugs, brand new wires and I replaced the coil pak in #6. Fired it up and it went about half a block before the miss came back????

Now I'm stumped! Should I go to the dealer & get them to maybe clear out some codes that the aftermarket can't clear out? I know what I'd do in a First Gen Camaro-but the computer part is a little out of my area of expertise-(OK a lot!) but I learned A TON installing the LS6!!!!

Please help! Dave
Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Try swapping ur coil power plug, say from # 4 to # 6, n see if the miss follows the swapped connector ?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you reuse the old injectors?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about trying a different plug wire but haven't done that yet....Naturally #6 is a pain in the rear to get to-but not NEARLY as bad as #8!

Yes I did reuse the injectors. The car has 29,4?? on it; do you really think the injectors are toast? I guess they could be but that doesn't seem right???? I'm asking-I'm not familiar with fuel injection and all of its quirks. Yes I own other injected engines, but I think I'm ready to finally move into 2010 and start cutting my teeth on an LS6!

Thanks please keep the ideas coming! Dave