Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Problems

I was headed towards this area of the city I live in today on the freeway when my car (it's been idling kinda weird lately) decided to start acting especially weird. It wouldn't accelerate til my foot was halfway down the throttle at which point it would drop into a low gear and go faster than I'd have liked. So I take the exit I'm nearest to and I'm at the light there and it's idling insanely funny. It was attempting to die on me so I put it in neutral since it was a red and started to kinda low rev the engine to keep the rpm's up so it wouldn't stall out (keep in mind this is an automatic, so it's not that I'm just driving a manual poorly, this is a car malfunction not a driver malfunction) so I start to drive when the light turns green trying to get off the road as soon as possible, and it's driving strange still, making this vwomp noise over and over again as it accelerates than doesn't work then accelerates. To my amazingly amazing luck, there's a Firestone right there a quarter of a mile on the exit I took off of Grand Parkway (the freeway I was on) so I pull up and have them run engine diagnostics, which put me out 90 bucks. They honestly couldn't find what was wrong with it, although they agree something is CLEARLY wrong with it, and that it's not exactly safe to drive unless I really drive carefully. But I'm not about to chance ******* my car up more, so they're now keeping my car overnight and having their master technician look at it in the morning. So apparently my car **** up is so perfectly hard to find that none of them can tell what it is and none of their computers or diagnostic machines can tell them either. I'm really hoping this master tech is the House of cars, cause I'd like my car back soon haha. So if anybody on here has any ideas what could be wrong with it, I'd love to here it since I, nor the people at the local Firestone here have any clue.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

of course none of their guys can find it lol.. they're probably planning on getting more money out of you.. if I were you I'd get the car back and ease it home..

when was the last time you did maintenece things like spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change, wires etc?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They figured it out, it turns out the previous owner of my car took the filter of the Mass Airflow Sensor, and apparently not too long ago when I get an air filter swap part of the rubber seal for the airbox lid got into the airbox and was sucked through the MAS, which it apparently got caught on. Which is lucky since I didn't want to have to try and get it out of my intake, but yeah, it got caught on the Sensor and made my car think it was running lean, then not, then it was, etc... which caused it to run shitty