Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does my P&P TB look? with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does my P&P TB look? with pics

I don't know much about P&P a throttle body, so I had one done for me. These pics aren't the greatest, but the car runs fine with it and no issued during the install. My only complaint is that when I wanna slowly pull out or something its like the TB sticks then goes. Hard to barely press the pedal. I have a 6 speed so I don't always wanna gouge on it when I am in town. Hard to explain what I am saying. Here are some pics, tell me what ya think. Also, about how much is a stock TB worth?

Ported

stock

Both
Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put a bigger stiffer return spring on it.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garygnu
Is that whats causing the issue with the throttle? Where could I find one at, suggs?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good who did it?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garygnu
Wouldn't a stiffer return spring make it stick even more?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Addict

Its not the spring, although it does have the wrong spring on it. The blue spring is 00-04 model TBs, the gray spring is 98-99 and the orange spring is a truck TB. The orange one is the strongest and the blue one is the weakest.
Check and see if the blade is centered in the bore, chances are its not. If its not just loosen the blade screws and center it in the bore so the edge of the blade doesnt touch anywere. Another thing you can do that easier is just screw in the idle screw a 1/4 turn to bring the edge of the blade away from the bore.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Launching!

Yah definitely not centered, had the same issue with mine at first when I did it. Just adjust the screws.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove about 45 mins this morning. I guess it just fixed itself. We will see when I drive it back home. I will look into the different spring, is it really needed or does it affect anything having the blue spring?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo White
Its not the spring, although it does have the wrong spring on it. The blue spring is 00-04 model TBs, the gray spring is 98-99 and the orange spring is a truck TB. The orange one is the strongest and the blue one is the weakest.
Check and see if the blade is centered in the bore, chances are its not. If its not just loosen the blade screws and center it in the bore so the edge of the blade doesnt touch anywere. Another thing you can do that easier is just screw in the idle screw a 1/4 turn to bring the edge of the blade away from the bore.
So for the idle screw, screw it as if I am trying to make the blade open more, like I want a higher idle. Will this make it idle higher b/c I already have a **** idle. Maybe somebody can help me out with my idling issue.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...l#post14082645
Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

do NOT touch the set screw.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, touch the set screw. a 1/8-1/4 turn wont effect it enough to matter. The IAC valve will compensate for that amount. The blue spring will be fine. Like I said the right way to fix it is to make sure the blade is centered, moving the idle screw is just a quicky fix but does work fine. I flipped those screws over when I ported TBs so they were easier to get to when the TB is on the car anyway. I just reset the angle of the blade when I reassembled it.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, touch the set screw. a 1/8-1/4 turn wont effect it enough to matter. The IAC valve will compensate for that amount. The blue spring will be fine. Like I said the right way to fix it is to make sure the blade is centered, moving the idle screw is just a quicky fix but does work fine. I flipped those screws over when I ported TBs so they were easier to get to when the TB is on the car anyway. I just reset the angle of the blade when I reassembled it.
Its not really doing it anymore. Feels like it might just be barely doing it, hardly noticeable. Are the blade screws the 2 that are in the middle of the TB blade itself? Those would be the ones I need to loosen a little, and then set the blade where I want it? Is it gonna hurt anything to be slightly sticking??
Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

If it was just a slight stick and seemed to go away dont worry about it.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was just a slight stick and seemed to go away dont worry about it.
It was still sticking enough to annoy me so I pulled it off barely messed with the set screw and put it back on. Still barely sticking so I did it one more time now its perfect. Like you said prolly a 1/4 turn or less and it was fixed. thx for the help, now I just gotta fix that high idle. thinking maybe I should clean my IAC valve, but then again I hate to screw with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Did it have a high idle before you messed with the screw?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did it have a high idle before you messed with the screw?
Yeah it had the high idle before I messed with the screw or put the new TB on. However, I would like to set the TB blade correctly. I read somewhere that I should screw the idle screw out until it doesn't hit the piece that usually hits, guess its called the cam.????? Then loosen the blade screws and open and close it a few times. Is this correct??? I just wanna make sure that its correct.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you rest the throttle position sensor? If not you should do that after moving the screw. And you don't want to move the screw much at all or you will need to work on the tune.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i sold my stock TB to someone here for about $50.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i sold my stock TB to someone here for about $50.
I just sold my SLP P+P'd TB for $70 with the sensors. (I've got an extra set) was a 78mm TB. SLP didn't make these for very long. IT was their version of the stocker. Prolly just had a bunch of stockers and refurbished them, cleaned em up and etched their label on em..

And OP, that P+P work looks pretty damn good!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I just sold my SLP P+P'd TB for $70 with the sensors. (I've got an extra set) was a 78mm TB. SLP didn't make these for very long. IT was their version of the stocker. Prolly just had a bunch of stockers and refurbished them, cleaned em up and etched their label on em..

And OP, that P+P work looks pretty damn good!
Hey thanks, feels good when you buy something and it looks good and performs well. When I put my lid on I really didn't notice much of a difference, but when I put the P&P TB on I was like whoa, those 2 mods go hand in hand. I wish I could've bought your for $70 especially with the sensors. Pretty sure my IACV was acting up and then I broke it pulling on it.
Does anybody know when I get my new IACV if I just install it like it comes in the package or what? I would really,really prefer not to screw with it. Kinda figure the computer will put it where it wants it.