Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my transmission (A4)? Is it about to go boom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is wrong with my transmission (A4)? Is it about to go boom?

Hello gents,
I will try to make this as short and informative as possible to find the problem in my transmission.

Rewind to last Friday, I am at the track (SAR) and making my first pass and notice that when my car goes to shift from 2-3 gear it bounces off the rev limiter for about .2-.3 of a second. This is while my car is running in overdrive. I make 4 passes and each and every time the same result, bouncing off the rev limiter going from 2-3 gear. The four runs were three 13.4s and one 13.5 (first time ever). The last and final run I figured that I would try to make a pass in Drive instead of Overdrive (equivalent to "3" in Trans Ams). Well when it comes to shift from 2-3 once again it bounces off the rev limiter. Except this time it won't shift at all so I just let off the gas and coast to the finish line running a 13.9.

After that run I thought that was enough and let the car cool some. We then drove 2 hours back home with the transmission working fine. Now today, Monday, and everything still shifts fine with the exception of WOT runs which I do not do now.

The week before I went to the track I installed a transmission cooler. I had not gotten on my car in a while but don't really remember it bouncing off the rev limiter before. Is it possible that something in my transmission cooler can be doing this? Leaking line maybe so not enough tranny fluid? Although before I left to the track (2 hour drive) I added more tranny fluid.

So what is the next step? Am I supposed to wait for my tranny to blow? Is this just a clutch pack? How much am I looking at here?

Thanks for your help
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me. At first I thought it was a tuning issue, it only happened at WOT. Everyday driving, fine. Last weekend while in S.A. for a wedding, it goes boom. Being rebuilt as we speak. From the time it started doing this till the failure, I'd say about a month. Looks like time for a rebuild or better tranny.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fluid. Mine used to do the same thing when it was low on fluid. But last saturday it did it for the last time because I lost my 3rd and 4th gear. Doh!