PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks but won't start ...W.T.F.??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cranks but won't start ...W.T.F.??

Evening all...

Ok, I can't figure this out. Motor and computer are stock. No edits done or anything. Car was running fine until just the other day when .... I was sitting in the car wash and all of a sudden the car dies. I cranked it over and over but nothing. urns over but doesn't fire.

I pulled and checked all the fuses, pulled the pcm fuse and let it sit for a few minutes then tried again, still nothing. Then, finally pulled the pos. battery cable and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Bingo, she started. Ran fine for the rest of the day and then today again on the way to work.

This evening on the way home I was crusing along at about 75 when the motor cut out for a second, then ran ok. Drove for about 3 more miles and it died. I tried the battery cable trick again...a couple of times....NADA !

Only idea or extra info I might add is, for those of you who know me this is our Police patrol unit. Whn the emergency lights, etc. were installed they ran all the wires up from the battery, under the right side fender (between the fender and frame on top) then, ran them all into the car thru the rubber boot between the door and frame. They have left the boot (rubber seal) open and I have had a problem a couple of times with water getting into the car on the right front under the kick passenger side front kick panel. The carpet actually got soaked one day and I had to dry it out.

OK, ideas ???? Car had to be towed into the dealer tonight and I am supposed to go down there tomorrow to explain " What I did to it"

I would appreciate any input.

Kev
Old 02-02-2004, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

PCM damaged? might have gotten a spike when they installed the lights etc. bad ground? did they remove the PCM for any reason? if so, loose plugs on the PCM? is the charging system working properly? alternator may also be outputting a bit of A/C if the diode triode is failing. that would kill a PCM quick.

since i am trying to help, does this mean you will be nice to me if you pull me over?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

PCM was never removed. Lights and everything have been in the car for several months and no problem....until now. Charging system seems to be working normal. Plugs on PCM are all tight. Any idea how much a new PCm will be ?
And Yes...if it's me and you will likely know it's me if I ever stop you (only Black z28 K9 patrol unit in the Metroplex) introduce yourself...I promise
Old 02-03-2004, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if its cranking you have power. I would check your fuel pressure/system.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, got it...
fuel pump went ka-boom. They said they would have it back to us on Wednesday evening. Just in time for the trading card photos on Thursday...lol.

Thanks ya'll

Kev
Old 02-03-2004, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Any idea how much a new PCm will be ?
I know you've already found the problem, but for future reference a pcm is considered an emissions item and has an 8 yr - 80,000 mi warranty. I don't know if you're under 80,000 miles though.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info. We only have 38 K on the car so I'll keep that in mind.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Question Won't Start

Ok. Here's a question on not starting.

My '00 WS6 all of a sudden started having a problem starting. Wasn't showing any codes. Wasn't getting spark to plugs and no gas to injectors but was holding pressure at the rails. Did have cam and crank reference. Went to dealer and had the PCM, theft deterrent, and ignition replaced and a different battery installed. The PCM was under the 8/80,000 warranty so the other parts came along as part of the warranty. Started for 2 days and then the same problem, no start. Well, it has been sitting since October with 9,400 miles on it and no one has any idea what to try next.

You guys are the best of the best. Is there anyone out there that might be able to give me some more ideas on what to try next? I'm not very well educated on fixing this car. BTW it is all stock. The car and insurance payments are killing me and I can't file a lemon law lawsuit since it is out of warranty.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Dee
Old 02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the exact problem i had with my camaro. Ended up being my key. Apparently the chip managed to become demagnitized and they had to replace the key. If nothing else works have the key inspected.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kckid
This is the exact problem i had with my camaro. Ended up being my key. Apparently the chip managed to become demagnitized and they had to replace the key. If nothing else works have the key inspected.
Your car should NOT CRANK if the key is the problem...
Old 02-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

It is cranking. When they replaced the ignition, they replaced the key.

Dee
Old 02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oddly enough I was at the chevy dealer and watched them fix the car. The exact process they took to get my car running was a new key and a recalibrated computer. Just what I went through, might not be what your problem is.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Oddly enough I was at the chevy dealer and watched them fix the car. The exact process they took to get my car running was a new key and a recalibrated computer. Just what I went through, might not be what your problem is.
How did they diagnose the problem? Did it show a code?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They said that the code it was showing was scrambled and didnt really elaborate... I told them to just get it running and dont make me bring it back and I'll be happy. then they told me they cut me a new key and recalibrated the computer. Runs like a dream now.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Mine runs like a dream too, if it starts!!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i were you I would take it to the dealership where it was purchased (or anyother pontiac dealership). Even if it is out of warranty they will fix it for you, or at very least tell you what is wrong.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

If i were you I would take it to the dealership where it was purchased (or anyother pontiac dealership). Even if it is out of warranty they will fix it for you, or at very least tell you what is wrong.
A friend loaded it on his trailer and took it to the GM dealer where he works as a master tech. It was there a month and no one there could diagnose the problem. They gave up and just started changing parts. Started with the computer, then theft deterrent, and ignition, and it DID finally start. Started for 2 days with no problem. That's the strange thing. If a tech at a dealer can't diagnose it, well, I can't say much more. Not much faith that anyone will be able to diagnose it since they couldn't. Don't have access to the trailer anymore, so big towing expense comes into it. I'm no where near a dealer. Soooo, it sits for another 2 years until it's paid off so I will be able to afford a big diagnosis and repair bill.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Gee Golly...we've been Hi-Jacked....lol
Old 02-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Gee Golly...we've been Hi-Jacked....lol
Huh????
Old 02-07-2004, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K9KEV- I was going to say maybe fuel pump until I read through the thread and saw you already found the problem.

Originally Posted by 00 WS6 CONV
Ok. Here's a question on not starting.

My '00 WS6 all of a sudden started having a problem starting. Wasn't showing any codes. Wasn't getting spark to plugs and no gas to injectors but was holding pressure at the rails. Did have cam and crank reference. Went to dealer and had the PCM, theft deterrent, and ignition replaced and a different battery installed.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Dee

I had the whole no spark issue after pulling the heads. Turned out I forgot to re-attach the ground wires to the back of them when I re-installed. Car would crank, fuel at the rails, but no ignition. Maybe the grounds are loose, burnt, or broken somewhere. Just a thought. Good luck.