Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR, Trick Flow, or Texas Speed?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR, Trick Flow, or Texas Speed?

I am starting to save some money up to purchase a pair of heads. I am currently looking at AFR 205's, Trick Flow fast as cast 220s, and texas speed ls6 stage 1 or 2 heads. My question is what head will give me the best gains for my set up? I was told if I go with the ts ls6 stage 2 heads I will need to fly cut my pistons which i dont mind doing if this will give me the most power. I will be running these heads with a trex cam, victor jr manifold, and mighty demon 750.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TFS as cast here....if you are buying new AFR no longer sells 205's but has a revised 210cc version. IMO either one will make more than the LS6 heads.....PRC makes aftermarket 215cc and 227cc heads you may wanna check out.....
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

afr's or trickflow is the way to go. don't skimp on the heads...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

TRICK FLOWS all the way
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Trick flow's are great but talk to mammo on the new afr's heads that just came out...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id definitely look into the new AFR 210 heads and those PRC 215.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I did not know afr came out with a 210 i will check those out. Seems 50/50 between afr and trick flow and am guessing either choice will make similar power?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you need to look at the PRC aftermarket castings. The quality is everybit as good as the AFR and the TFS. Call TSP and talk with them.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

AFR 210s all the way! The 205s were used to make close to, or reach 500rwhp on stock cubes, and the 210 flow even better. Also, Tony Mamo @ AFR is very knowledgeable and a good guy!

Also, I'm no expert but I think a custom grind may be better suited for a single plane/carb setup. Nothing against that cam at all, but for a couple extra bucks you can get the perfect cam for what you want to do.

Last edited by NVR_SPDS; 11-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
AFR 210s all the way! The 205s were used to make close to, or reach 500rwhp on stock cubes, and the 210 flow even better. Also, Tony Mamo @ AFR is very knowledgeable and a good guy!

Also, I'm no expert but I think a custom grind may be better suited for a single plane/carb setup. Nothing against that cam at all, but for a couple extra bucks you can get the perfect cam for what you want to do.
A more apples comparison would be vs the TFS 215s and I would be willing to be the AFRs and TFS 215s are within 5 hp of each other...

no clear cut winner till we have back to back results for a specific setup...

as for my experience 495rwhp through a locked a4, 12 bolt, 4.10s, 28" drag radials...346 stock bottom end...

best so far of 10.08...

bottom line pick up whatever set you can get cheaper cause both are too close to split hairs on...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Well if you're talking apples to apples then you need to be looking at the PRC 215cc heads along with the others mentioned above. I don't know how many guys have read the Hot Rod Article on the head comparisons, but you would be pretty shocked to see how close the heads actually were. While all the heads are nice, for your money you actually get more HP per dollar going with an aftermarket PRC. Granted those were larger heads but I would expect similar results with the 215cc line of heads from each manufacturer. So to say that one heads is somehow leaps and bounds better than the other is absolutely false.

To the OP: Give us a shout with what you are looking to do and what kind of budget you are on. Chances are we can get you a great set of heads no matter what your budget may be and what brand you choose to run. We can also get you all the parts needed to complete the project as well as the knowledge to ensure everything works as intended.

Jon
Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Stock bottem end record holder for ls1 uses the 215 prc heads all three of them are the best around. I'm gonna go with prc in my near future . They seem to be doin very well if your looking for a dyno king
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Well if you're talking apples to apples then you need to be looking at the PRC 215cc heads along with the others mentioned above. I don't know how many guys have read the Hot Rod Article on the head comparisons, but you would be pretty shocked to see how close the heads actually were. While all the heads are nice, for your money you actually get more HP per dollar going with an aftermarket PRC. Granted those were larger heads but I would expect similar results with the 215cc line of heads from each manufacturer. So to say that one heads is somehow leaps and bounds better than the other is absolutely false.

To the OP: Give us a shout with what you are looking to do and what kind of budget you are on. Chances are we can get you a great set of heads no matter what your budget may be and what brand you choose to run. We can also get you all the parts needed to complete the project as well as the knowledge to ensure everything works as intended.

Jon
I agree that the December 2010 Hot Rod Magazine article on head comparisons was excellent,with more heads to be tested in the future. Take a look at the TEA LS6 head hp/tq numbers. I think you will be surprised by the results,by far the best bang for the buck (CUSTOMER SUPPLIED HEADS $1320) making excellent hp/tq comparable to TSF and AFR. The LS6 heads do make much better power than what their given credit for by individuals who don't really know the facts.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Here's what you might be overlooking on the T-Rex combo.

The AFR heads have larger chambers & can't really be milled to get your compression up with that camshaft.

The TFS heads are something like 64cc and don't have much room for additional milling either. TFS might also want you to run aftermarket rockers with these heads.

The PRC 215 heads are available with 59cc chambers & still keeping stock p/v clearance for larger camshafts. basically your getting a great flowing cylinder head & the compression bump you really bad need with that camshaft to make big power gains across the rpm band.

All three heads are very nice, but the PRC 215s hold some pretty healthy advantages when you consider the compression bump they can give you without cutting your pistons.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Tfs....
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

^ that is pretty interesting...and a nice feature I didn't know of...you guys need to market that aspect of the heads more...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Here's what you might be overlooking on the T-Rex combo.

The AFR heads have larger chambers & can't really be milled to get your compression up with that camshaft.

The TFS heads are something like 64cc and don't have much room for additional milling either. TFS might also want you to run aftermarket rockers with these heads.

The PRC 215 heads are available with 59cc chambers & still keeping stock p/v clearance for larger camshafts. basically your getting a great flowing cylinder head & the compression bump you really bad need with that camshaft to make big power gains across the rpm band.

All three heads are very nice, but the PRC 215s hold some pretty healthy advantages when you consider the compression bump they can give you without cutting your pistons.
I am very interested in this article, what castings are they making these heads out of if GM casting heads just done very nice by PRC? If not a GM head done up then they cast there own cores or what? Been saving up for Trick Flows 215cc for my car but open and still haven't bought them, LOL. Thanks in advance and I will check back here later.
The following users liked this post:
00paul (12-05-2019)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Evans752: We actually had these castings made for us. They are not a GM casting in any way

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Launching!

What heads flows more air and will make more power with a trex, the prc 215 or the tfs cnc 215? They are basically the same price so I will get whatever is best of the 2.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTC_75vette
What heads flows more air and will make more power with a trex, the prc 215 or the tfs cnc 215? They are basically the same price so I will get whatever is best of the 2.
As Jason mentioned above, the most significant advantage the PRC 215's have over the TrickFlow on a large cam combo like that is that we can get you a smaller chamber (more compression) without sacrificing your piston to valve clearance on flat-top pistons! On that extra large camshaft, that extra clearance and peace of mind is always welcomed!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFR, Trick Flow, or Texas Speed?