Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would a hole in the oil dipstick tube...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default would a hole in the oil dipstick tube...

...cause a high idle?

Dont ask me why it was there... i was an idiot the first time i put my headers on. but anyways i finally replaced my tube and noticed it had a hole that went about 3/4 of the diameter of the tube and now my idle problems seem to be gone... I only went for a 3-4 minute drive, but it seems A LOT better (idles down at 1K instead of 2-3K. tube calls for a 950 idle.. but ill take the extra 50 rpms and be happy for now lol
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that this will cause high idle I have been chasing idle issues forever and never thought about the dipstick i kinda broke installing my headers. Where did you find another tube?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmofield
I hope that this will cause high idle I have been chasing idle issues forever and never thought about the dipstick i kinda broke installing my headers. Where did you find another tube?
haha ive been chasing mine forever too lol. I broke mine the first time i put my headers in and have just moved it around since not even thikning of what it could be doing.

I got mine from GM for like $30
Old 11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

It would cause a high idle. The dipstick is part of the crank case and a hole in it would let unmetered air in which gets sucked up by the TB. A similar effect can be felt from a dipstick not fully seated. It has O-rings on the handle and they must be sealed