Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bit size to drill dipstick boss on 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit size to drill dipstick boss on 5.3

Just wondering if anyone knew what size bit to use to drill out the oil dipstick boss on a 5.3 engine... I used the search function and couldn't come up with an answer. Couple of references to it being "metric", but nothing specific. Doing this on an 04 alluminum 5.3. Any tips on drilling this perfectly perpindicular??? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it is not just plugged? I have never used a truck block, but all the other aluminum blocks that I have used that did not have a dipstick in the block, just had a expansion plug driven into the hole. I just took a punch and punched them out.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Teching In

No, it definately needs to be drilled, its the alluminum truck block, came out of an envoy....
Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never seen one NOT drilled... I have an L92 block on the stand, the hole is 0.370" diameter and I could not imagine trying to drill one by hand.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Flip the engine over and drill from the pan side

Never seen one that needed to be drilled either. All had the knock-out
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Freeze Plug

I have never seen one that needed to be drilled out, but then again "never say never" I think you need to look at it really good and you should see a little bitty freeze plug in there and you just use a punch and knock it out for the dipstick installation.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I'm a little confused at this point... I can clearly see the boss for the dipstick on the lower edge of the back third of the passenger side of the engine... no freeze plug. However, I've not taken the oil pan off yet. So.... are you guys saying that from inside looking out, that the boss is mostly drilled??? Because there is definately no plug externally. I'll post a pic for additional help. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by drpokey
I'm a little confused at this point... I can clearly see the boss for the dipstick on the lower edge of the back third of the passenger side of the engine... no freeze plug. However, I've not taken the oil pan off yet. So.... are you guys saying that from inside looking out, that the boss is mostly drilled??? Because there is definately no plug externally. I'll post a pic for additional help. Thanks for all the replies.
believe me it has a plug i have an 07 5.3L from an envoy denali also it had a front sump pan with the dip stick on the pan. i had to get a new truck pan to clear the frame. you have to remove the pan and hit it out. no need to drill it out.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

So, here is the pic I promised. So, is the passage drilled 90% throught from inside the oil pan?? Why would it not be drilled all the way through and then plugged from outside???

Any comments appreciated.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

it is drilled all the way through and plugged from the outside. you will see the hole on the block when you remove the oil pan. take a center punch and knock it out from the inside out.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Teching In

So.... I posted this question a few weeks ago and didn't get any great answers other than "It's already drilled , just knock out the plug". While this may be true for the 06? and up alumimum 5.3s, it is most certainly not true of mine, which is an 04. This can clearly be seen in the picture I posted above.

Anyway, the short answer is that the hole, which I would be quite sure is metric, is closest to a 3/8" bit, the next size up is a 25/64 and that's too big. I used the 3/8" after drilling a pilot hole with 5/32" and the dipstick fits nicely, snug but not too tight. Hope this helps someone else.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drpokey
So.... I posted this question a few weeks ago and didn't get any great answers other than "It's already drilled , just knock out the plug". While this may be true for the 06? and up alumimum 5.3s, it is most certainly not true of mine, which is an 04. This can clearly be seen in the picture I posted above.

Anyway, the short answer is that the hole, which I would be quite sure is metric, is closest to a 3/8" bit, the next size up is a 25/64 and that's too big. I used the 3/8" after drilling a pilot hole with 5/32" and the dipstick fits nicely, snug but not too tight. Hope this helps someone else.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for posting your follow up. This will help me out immensely. I am planning on doing an LM4 swap in a Volvo 760 and I needed to know this very thing... Here is some more detail on the LM4 not being drilled and plugged at the factory. It seems it was about the only engine family that was done this way! http://www.trifive.com/forums/archiv...p/t-81447.html
Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I can confirm that the Gen III aluminum block 5.3L engines most definitely do not have the hole drilled in the block. I had an 04 5.3L aluminum block engine and it did not have the hole. A buddy of mine got one as well, and it did not have the hole drilled either. As I recall, when I drilled the hole, I used a 3/8" drill bit. I did it from the top with the pan off, no drama.

Andrew
Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I can confirm that the Gen III aluminum block 5.3L engines most definitely do not have the hole drilled in the block. I had an 04 5.3L aluminum block engine and it did not have the hole. A buddy of mine got one as well, and it did not have the hole drilled either. As I recall, when I drilled the hole, I used a 3/8" drill bit. I did it from the top with the pan off, no drama.

Andrew
Pictures, do you still have the pictures of when you drilled it?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Loco27
Pictures, do you still have the pictures of when you drilled it?
I do not have any pictures. However, I recall that the process was not that complicated. There is a pad that is cast into the block where the dipstick needs to go. Just drill square to that pad.

I can also say that I have a GenIV aluminum engine (LH8) and it did have a hole in the block. But I had to use a plug (there is a GM plug for this...PN in my Cougar build thread) to plug it up, because I am using the front sump GTO pan, which has the dipstick in the pan.

Andrew
Old 04-03-2018, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Dipstick

I have an 2003 LM4 and it did not have a hole just like Andrews'. I just measured the end of a Lokar dipstick and drilled the hole to fit. No problem at all. Sorry, can't remember the size.

Quick Reply: Bit size to drill dipstick boss on 5.3