Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reccommendations for tuning on a dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reccommendations for tuning on a dyno

I'm going to have a little time on a dyno this weekend to tweak my tune.

I'll be using the dyno's WB to tweak my A/F and will be working on my spark tables also. What kind of things should I log? Does anyone have a .cfg file they use on the dyno?

Just looking for a little direction as far as procedures/what to expect so I can make the most of my time on the rollers. I poked around a little on the HPT forums, but wanted to get opinions from the masters here also.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I never use a dyno wideband stuck in the tail pipe... I put mine in the header in place of a stock front one (unless they have an extra bung installed)... much more accurate than sticking it in the pipe - especially at idle and part throttle, but even at WOT...

As far as logging, I log commanded AFR, wideband AFR, spark, knock, MAF frequency, MAP, TPS, RPM, INJDC, coolant temp, intake air temp...
Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I have an extra bung instilled in the driver's side collector that has an LC-1 installed, but I'm not using it yet since I don't have the Pro cable. I have catted mids, so would that extra bung be the best to use?

I've read so many threads in the past week that its starting to make my head spin. I'm running SD, by the way.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2nd that. Also, if you have cats they produce water which can coat the o2 sensor giving false readings. To get the most out of it get an extra bung welded in front of the cats and as close to the collector as possible.

EDIT: Damn, beat me by 6 minutes...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
As far as logging, I log commanded AFR, wideband AFR, spark, knock, MAF frequency, MAP, TPS, RPM, INJDC, coolant temp, intake air temp...
Good list. I'd add MPH and Air Flow DYNCYLAIR_DMA (grams/cyl). Air flow so you can map spark and knock back to your spark map.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white01ss
Good list. I'd add MPH and Air Flow DYNCYLAIR_DMA (grams/cyl). Air flow so you can map spark and knock back to your spark map.
I was going down my chart in my head and knew I missed a couple... yep, those are important! and for speed density, make sure you use the PID for speed density airflow...

I would put the wideband in a bung in front of the cats...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

You did pretty damn good, I had to look at my log profile.

nmcqueen469 - It would be best to get your LC-1 working so you can have your own wideband logged with the rest of the data.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the tail pipe wideband on EVERY car that I put on the dyno...

Mostly just to see what it reads as I tune off of one in a front bung
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like both WB's as well........sanity check's.

You mentioned you are SD, is the MAF still in place? If so I would dial the MAF in while on the dyno, quick & easy if you are on a load type.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ctd
I like both WB's as well........sanity check's.

You mentioned you are SD, is the MAF still in place? If so I would dial the MAF in while on the dyno, quick & easy if you are on a load type.
No, my MAF is being used as a coaster in the garage.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Here's my standard logging pids for both the real and street dyno. I guess I don't really need the o2 sensors anymore, but haven't found anything more usefull to replace them. Maybe someone can post an HPTuners version.
Attached Thumbnails Reccommendations for tuning on a dyno-dynopids.jpg   Reccommendations for tuning on a dyno-knockmap.jpg  
Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white01ss
Here's my standard logging pids for both the real and street dyno. I guess I don't really need the o2 sensors anymore, but haven't found anything more usefull to replace them. Maybe someone can post an HPTuners version.
You can filter out all values greater than 0.0 in the KR histo so that nothing shows up unless it's KR. If you don't, all of the times that you DON'T knock and are in a cell, a zero is averaged in with the recorded KR value.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
You can filter out all values greater than 0.0 in the KR histo so that nothing shows up unless it's KR. If you don't, all of the times that you DON'T knock and are in a cell, a zero is averaged in with the recorded KR value.
Thanks for the tip, I've made that mistake before. In this case, though, the knock map has the max value button (up arrow) selected not average so it shows the highest value in each cell. But you're right, if average is on the 0s can really distort the data unless you do like you said.